cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MF743Cdw

Magyar
Apprentice

Hi,

I have a new Canon MF743Cdw Printer. I'm using a Windows 10 OS.  The printer is connected to my network via a wired ethernet LAN connection.  I also have the printer connected directly to my desktop PC via a USB connection.  Printer has also been registered on Google Cloud Print. I have checked that the drivers are all up to date.

I have the following multiple recurring problems and cannot seem to resolve them - but I'll just start with one problem - scanning documents.

1. Printer will not scan documents, but then after I go through a routine (see description below), I finally get it to scan.  I woudl rather not have to go through these gyrations everytime, I would just like ti to work the way it is supposed to work by simply turning it on and then using 

Routine: 

A. Printer is always on

B. Boot up PC and login

C. Open up the Canon "MF Scan Utility" app and place documents on printer (either on class or feeder)

D. Select scan document from "MF Scan Utility" app

E. The "MF Scan Utility" app looks liek it is scanning but then the "MF Scan Utility" app disappears from screen.

F. Display screnen on the Printer shows it is trying to scan (looks like maybe it is trying connect to cloud? - but not sure).  This screen just hangs and hangs - nothing happens.

G. I select cancel from Printer display screen.  It goes to next screen and I select cancel again. The screen just hangs and hangs, and I finally power down the Printer give it a few minutes and then power back on. 

H. Back to PC, I run troubleshooting on the printer from Control Panel (Devices and Printers). It comes back saying no problem found.

I. I check to see if any documents jobs are hanging and need to be cleared. Nothing is there. I then close all windows and reboot PC.

J. I then go to the Printer screen and select Scan from the Home screen. It prompts me to select scan type.  I select Computer and it shows it is connectected to my PC.  (NOTE: Sometimes I have performed this step J after step "B" and it does not indciate that it is connected to my PC.)

K. I then open up the "MF Scan Utility" app and try to scan. This time it works.

QUESTION: How can I set-up the printer so that I don't have to go through these hoops everytime I want to scan something?

Thank you.

Magyar

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

My intial feeling.

Why not pick one connection type and use it, instead of expecting or trying to manage multipe connection types on various interfaces.  I'm sure your computer is confused everytime it boots..  how am I going to communicate with this device...?  via USB, no ethernet..  etc. 

You've over complicated your environment.  Keep it connected to ethernet, give the printer a static IP on your network.  Any device connected to the network wil be able to "find' and use the device at its destination "static" IP. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick,

Thank you for letting me know that. 

I thought that by connecting both way, I would then be able to access the printer on the fly either by direct access via USB or by any other device via the ethernet.

I've disconnected the USB and left the ethernet connected.

But I do have an addtional question now that there is only a ethernet connection.

My router security is warning me that there are two open ports.

I understand that the open ports relate to the functionality of makign the printer to be accessible to me on other devices through the network.

My router is saying that open ports increase the vulnerability of getting hacked.  It also recommends to obtain and install a patch from the manufacturer (in this case from Canon) to remove that vulnerablility.

So, my quesiton is what can be done to maintain the functionality but to elimimate the risk of having open ports? 

Is there a patch?

Are there other settings that can be changed?

Thank you.

Greetings,

What ports are being reported open? 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Darius
Whiz

Hi Magyar.

In addition to the good information provided by Shadowsports, check the printer's network connectivity by opening the Remote UI from the computer.  This will let you know if the network connection is experiencing any problems that might impede remote scanning.

If this answered your question, please click the Accept as Solution button, so others might find the answer.

Hi Darius,

Thank you for your insights. 

I will look into this, though I must admit the Canon manual for this "opening the Remote UI" is rather confusing to me.  Honestly, I am not even really sure that I know or understand what "Remote UI" is or what it does or why it is needed.

Sorry - I am not a techie.

I am very happy to select "Accept as Solution" and I certainly will do that if I can work through the Canon manual to understand and make it happen.

Is there any inherent stability difference, or security/safety difference, between IPv4 vs IPv6?

What is the difference between a static IP address and is that safer or not for pretecting against hacks on my network?

If you could please answer these questions it woudl be very helpful.

Thank you.

Magyar

Announcements