cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon ImageClass 249dw printer , not scanning to computer or email

ca
Apprentice

Hi Canon Community 

I made a mistake as it was my first time on the forum  and didnt know how to post a  new message so I accidentally sent it as a reply to another query. Excuse me '.

i am not computer savvy at all. so please bear with my explanation. 

The computer i bought is a Canon ImageClass 249dw printer, black and white laser with copy , scanning, fax and double sided printing options. 

I could not set it up my self and the tech guy helped but didnt really understand much about canon printers. I can't afford to call him again.

I have a refurbished HP Envy Pro 4-b-000 ulta pc notebook, recently bought..

It has Windows Pro 10 version 1703 installed on it. I am new to Windows 10 as well. 

Right now the printer works wirelessly. I can print double sided from my PC Notebook and my IPAD mini. However it changes the font to very large on the IPAD mini. not sure why that is the case. 

But the real problem is the scanning. i can not get it to work. 

i had read somewhere  that some else had troubles with scanning , especially scanning to email.

i would like to scan to email or just scan a pdf file to the computer and then send by email. it was one of the reasons i bought this computer.

He mentioned that the SMPT port setting that he had was different from what was the standard . i dont quite understand what this is about. the outgoing mail? Anyway his port setting was SS1 and port 587. I called my internet provider and mine are the same. He said he had to configure that in a separate location from  the scan settings location .He didnt explain how he did this.  I am not sure if this is my problem but if it is where do I enter this information on the printer. . . Is it under IP address. and again I dont know what to do.

When I tried to scan I got an error message on my computer which reads:

MF Scan Utility that is supported by the scanner you are using may not be installed on your computer INstall the appropriate MF Scan Utility and then peform the function.

I  dont have a DVD slot on the notebook. The IT guy downloaded the drivers. so I am confused as to what to do.

i tried to scan  a second time I got an  error message report from the printer and no message on the computer.

I am , a senior  so any help and simple step by step instructions to fix this would be apprecieated. I can follow step by step if you give me each step. I also dont want to screw up what is working on the printer now- the two sided wirless printing from the Envy PC notebook and the IPAD mini  (even though the print is too huge from the IPAD). I am unable to call Canon as I am at work when they have their office hours.

thank you kindly for any help or instruction. 

Sincerely

ca

1 REPLY 1

James_C

Hi New Contributor,

I will be glad to help. The scan to email function is designed to scan to an email server.  I would like to collect more information to help isolate this issue.  Please reply with the following:

1.  Are you setting up to scan to an email server or are you trying to scan to a personal email address?

2.  Do you see any error messages when you try to scan to email?

3.  Are you able to save the scanned file to your computer, then open your email program, then attach the scanning email file and send it that way?

Regarding the "MF Scan Utility that is supported by the scanner you are using may not be installed"  message, it sounds like you just need to download and install it from Canon's website. 

Let's perform the following steps to download and install the software:

1.  Click HERE to launch the download page.

2.  Select "Operating System" It should automatically be detected.

3.  Under the "Softwarer" tab section you will need to download the file [Windows 32bit & 64bit] MF Scan Utility Ver.1.4.0.0.  After reading the details and disclaimer, click I Agree to terms.  Download and save the file to your computer.  Once the download is complete, double-click the file from its download location to begin the installation. 

Click HERE for specfic scanning steps.

Please note, Canon's Forum is not intended for immediate help, but a place to allow for the Community to give you assistance and feedback. If this is an urgent support need, please use the link below to reach our friendly Technical Support Team:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements