cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Scan on network with MF4890dw

HarryJ
Apprentice

I can print and I can fax - but I cannot get the scan function to work on my home network. It says "cannot communicate" when I run the toolbox. I moved the printer and scanned using a USB cable just fine (changing the settings to turn USB on). But when back on the network - nothing.

I am on Windows 8.1 (64 bit) and I do have another scanner (Epson) plugged in via USB which continues to work fine - but it doesn't have an automatic feed so I prefer to use the Canon.

I installed the latest firmware on the device as well - but no change.

18 REPLIES 18

Bella71284
Apprentice
Go to cannon.com select your device and select the firmware tab you will have to put your scanner serial number than download the firmware it's fixes the scanner bug everyone is having

Updated the firmware... still doesn't work

MF4890dw

Support for this is awful. I ran Windows 7 with this scanner, now Windows 10, never worked right.  Come on Canon. 

Please take a look at our new Service Notice on the availability of a patch to address an issue that prevents certain imageCLASS models from scanning as a result of updating to Windows 8, 8.1 or 10.

Windows Scanning Update for imageCLASS:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Announcements/Important-Windows-Scanning-Update-for-imageCLASS/m-p...

Nothappywithcan
Apprentice
I understand that the update to Window's 8 or 10 may cause issues with scanning on the network, BUT I'M USING WINDOWS 7 and still having issues. WE, AS CONSUMEES AND BIG FANS OF CANON, ARE BEGGING YOU TO PLEASE FIX THIS BUG.
Thank you!

brechelt
Apprentice

Canon MF4890DW, wirelessly connected to Mac OSX 10.10.3.  System Preferences say the printer is connected correctly.  

I CAN Print, however I have to restart the printer every time I want to print, it will not wake up automatically.  I have to do this somtimes 3-4 times before it can connect to the printer.

My Biggest issue is I can only scan about 40% of the time.  I start MF Toolbox, close, and restart about 10 times before I can scan (if I can ever get it to scan at all).

When I can't scan (60-100%) of the time, I get the following error:  "Cannot communicate with any of the scanners.
The scanners may not be connected, or may be turned off."

Please help.

Thank you, 

Thomas

Hello Thomas (a.k.a brechelt),

Based on the information you have provided, I recommend you contact our telephone technical support at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).  There is no charge for this call.  Or, click HERE for email support. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

kmerritt
Apprentice

Bought a new Mac.  Using MacOs 10.12.6.  Downloaded MF Scan utility.  Printing working fine.  When I try to connect scanner- I type in IP address and the error message I get is "The specified scanner is not supported".  Is there a way around this? 

JoeSpitzig
Apprentice

Apparently the Canon MF Toolbox 4.9 is not compatible with Windows 10.  I cannot find any way to access the scanner function of the MF4880dw remotely over the network.

Announcements