Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bird Photography & Canon 1100D

himaniv
Apprentice

Dear Friends,

Need a suggestion.. 

I have Canon EOS1100D camera with 55-250mm lense ( Macro 1.1m/3.6ft). 

I have recently started birding and I am loving it. However birds being too far off, it is becoming difficult to get good pics with this setups. 

Need suggestion on : 

1. If I upgrade lense and keep same base camera, is it good? 

2. Which Canon Lense should I go for ? 

3. Can I use Tele converter with current 250 mm lense ? as high end lenses are very heavy to carry during birding. 

Please suggest a good cost effective model for begining.

Thanks in advance.

15 REPLIES 15

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@himaniv wrote:

Dear Friends,

Need a suggestion.. 

I have Canon EOS1100D camera with 55-250mm lense ( Macro 1.1m/3.6ft). 

I have recently started birding and I am loving it. However birds being too far off, it is becoming difficult to get good pics with this setups. 

Need suggestion on : 

3. Can I use Tele converter with current 250 mm lense ? as high end lenses are very heavy to carry during birding. 

Please suggest a good cost effective model for begining.

Thanks in advance.

You have a pretty good “starter” DSLR.  But, birding is a demanding hobby, both skill wise and gear wise.  The smaller the bird, the challenging it becomes.  Your camera and lens could handle most outdoor sports and action photography quite well.  Birding is an expensive hobby.  You can expect to spend upwards of $2000 for a capable setup.

Your current camera and lens have the equivalent angle-of-view that is comparable Canon’s EF 100-400mm lens on a full frame camera, which is a great setup for general outdoor sports.  Bird photographers like lenses that are 600mm, if not longer. Canon does not make consumer lenses at that focal length.

1.  I would suggest a camera upgrade, mainly because of the AF system in the 1100D.  It works for large subjects, such as football and baseball players, but birds, especially smaller ones can challenge the tracking abilities of the camera.  The most popular Canon camera body among birders has been the EOS 7D Mark II, which is about four years old now.  Take a look at the 80D and 6D Mark II, which are not as well built, but have arguably better AF systems than the older 7D2.

2.  Like said, most birders today like to have a 600mm lens, and Canon does not sell such a lens aimed at consumers.  Sigma and Tamron sell 150-600mm zoom lenses that are very popular with bird photographers.  The two most popular lenses are the Sigma 150-600 “Contemporary” and the Tamron 150-600 “G2”.

3.  Forget about teleconverters, for now.  Using a teleconverter changes how the lens aperture behaves, as well as how the AF system in the camera behaves.  Too make a long story short, a teleconverter will disable the AF system in your camera when used with that lens.  Teleconverters are for users with very high performance cameras and lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...  birds being too far off, it is becoming difficult to get good pics with this setups."

The number one thing new birder's find out quickly.  Small birds are small. Tiny birds are tiny and they remain so.

"Need suggestion on : 

3. Can I use Tele converter with current 250 mm lense ? as high end lenses are very heavy to carry during birding."

OK here we go with number 1.  The camera is fine actually it is a really nice camera. So keep it.  The lens is not, so you might try to sell it to help fund a more useful lens.  Today, and it does change, the best buy considering all its specs is the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2. You must realize there is a learning curve associated with such a powerful lens. Don't get discouraged at first. Keep practicing and shooting. It will come.

Number 2 is basically answered in #1 but Canon does have a option. The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens. You will need the tel-con which adds several hundred dollars to the price.  Canon also has the extremely good Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Lens but the tel-con is still needed for it, too.  It doesn't zoom, keep that in mind.

Number 3, the answer is no.  Most lenses do not work well with a tel-con. A few do and the two Canon lenses mentioned above are two of them. However, you camera might not like it as well as the lenses do so I would avoid that option and go with the big Tammy.

"Please suggest a good cost effective model for begining."

Cheap and good are at oppisite ends of the rainbow, I am afraid. Your T6i and the Tammy are going to be the most cost effective way to go.

I want to go back to this statement, "... birds being too far off, it is becoming difficult ...". The three most important things to remember and get right in photography are locaton, location and location.  This is actually also the bestest, mostest cost effective way to get great bird shots.  The right locatoin and your 55-250mil will get better shots than the big Tammy at the wrong location. I use a 1DX and Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens for my birding.  My best shots are 25 to 50 feet. Sometimes even closer!

_OS15290-Edit.jpg

_OS15420.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

OK here we go with number 1.  The camera is fine actually it is a really nice camera. So keep it.  The lens is not, so you might try to sell it to help fund a more useful lens.  Today, and it does change, the best buy considering all its specs is the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2. You must realize there is a learning curve associated with such a powerful lens. Don't get discouraged at first. Keep practicing and shooting. It will come.

Number 2 is basically answered in #1 but Canon does have a option. The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens. You will need the tel-con which adds several hundred dollars to the price.  Canon also has the extremely good Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Lens but the tel-con is still needed for it, too.  It doesn't zoom, keep that in mind.

Number 3, the answer is no.  Most lenses do not work well with a tel-con. A few do and the two Canon lenses mentioned above are two of them. However, you camera might not like it as well as the lenses do so I would avoid that option and go with the big Tammy.

"Please suggest a good cost effective model for begining."

Cheap and good are at oppisite ends of the rainbow, I am afraid. Your T6i and the Tammy are going to be the most cost effective way to go.

Ernie, the 1100D is equivalent to a Rebel T3, not a T6i.  I do not know what you were thinking, but you were not thinking clearly.

1.  The big 150-600mm lenses are way to0 heavy for the lens mount of the 1100D.  The lens would have to be supported at all times, and not allowed to dangle from the camera mount.  My T5 does not like my Sigma 150-600mm C.  It works, but it does not work out well.  Battery life is 200-300 shots, and lens does not focus as quickly.  It hunts, which reduces battery life even further.

2.  Using a teleconverter with either a T5 or a T6i with just about any super telephoto zoom is not a good idea.  Both bodies have f/5.6 AF points, which means you will lose the ability to AF when you add the teleconverter.

3.  The only correct answer with either a T5 or a T6i is no.  Neither camera will autofocus when you use a teleconverter with either Canon lens.  Neither camera will autofocus when you use either a Sigma or Tamron teleconverter with their 150-600mm lnses.

This is against  my better judgement but, "The big 150-600mm lenses are way to0 heavy for the lens mount of the 1100D.'

That simply demonstrates your lack of ability in using a Rebel. Be it a T3 or T6 doesn't matter. The Rebel is fully capable of using the Tamron lens.  My gosh I have used my 600mm L on a Rebel for pete's sake.

EB

himaniv
Apprentice

Thank you friends for your inputs.. Really appreciate. 

1100d is equivalant to T3 Rebel.

1. I am still confused with as some of you mentioning to upgrade camera. Will upgrading a lense 100-400 mm work with this base? Someone said "NO"

2. how about using  -Canon 70-300 F/4-5.6 is II USM Lens  with this camera? 

Thanks in advance

"Will upgrading a lense 100-400 mm work with this base?"

Yes of course it will but you will need to get closer to your subject.  That is a good thing. Remember I told you the three best and most important things in photography?  What are they? Location, location and location. Even with the bigger Tamron, if you are a mile away the birds are going to be tiny.

"Canon 70-300 F/4-5.6 is II USM Lens  with this camera?"

Same answer but at 300mm you will need to get very much closer.  The bottom line is any lens will work depending on how close you can get to the subject. Your 250mm will do the job depending on..........(fill in the blank)............well you get the idea.

Buy the super zoom Tamron G2 and give it a go.  You can rent one but that is wasted money if you are truly into this hobby as you will eventually buy a similar lens anyway.  Currently it is the best bet,

EB

"I am still confused with as some of you mentioning to upgrade camera."

Your Rebel is an entry level DSLR camera.  It is designed to wet your appetite for the fascinating hobby of photography.  It is, however, a stepping stone to a more advanced cameras. In your case the EOS 80D would be a logical choice. As cameras get more advanced they get better build quality until you get the the top of the line EOS 1DX Mk II.

This does not mean the Rebel line isn't a capable camera. It is and it will do the job. As might be expected newer cameras have better specs and do preform at a higher level.

EB

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
1. I do not think anyone said no to the 100-400. I told you to forget about using teleconverters with any super telephoto with the 1100D.

2. Great lens for general sports, but not so good for birding. The preference would be one of the 150-600mm lenses.

himaniv
Apprentice
Okay.. thanks but some one said that 1100dwill not be Able to mount heavy lense .. is that correct?
Announcements