cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thinking of upgrading my EOS Rebel T6i camera

sportsMom4
Contributor

looking for suggestions on what i should upgrade to.  I primarily shoot my daughters sports (soccer and softball).  It has been suggested the MARK 5D or 7D

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I think the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.6-5.6 IS STM lens is actually a pretty decent lens."

I agree! For what it is the standard kit lens(es) is pretty decent. However there are better options and lenses.  These are the bottom of the Canon inventory of lenses.  For people that just want a decent DSLR camera they are find.  They are not the best choice for a person that wants to upgrade.

The first and obvious upgrade in lenses is the outstanding Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. It is a fast and constant f2.8 aperture. It is not cheap but quality and constant aperture is not easy to make. 

"... B&H Photo Video seems to have the EF 70-200 f/4L USM in stock, and on sale."

Absolutely! Fantastic lens and super sharp. Again a fast f4 constant aperture. Plus is is "L" quality.

I would be far more inclined to upgrade the 75-300mm first, though.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

"...but the non L version is still a good choice if you are on a budget,..."

It is always a balance but upgrade means you want something that is better than you currently have. Still keeping or buying new bottom end lenses is not much of an upgrade. That is just an exchange!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...but the non L version is still a good choice if you are on a budget,..."

"It is always a balance but upgrade means you want something that is better than you currently have. Still keeping or buying new bottom end lenses is not much of an upgrade. That is just an exchange!"

The 70-300 mark II is a significant upgrade from the 75-300. I have both, the 75-300 came as a kit lens with a T4i I bought years ago. I quickly bought the 70-300 L, LOL! Yup, the 70-300 II is a budget lens, as mentioned, but it still has good IQ. It focuses extremely fast and nearly silent, has at least one UD element, IS is as good, maybe better, than my 70-300 L, but it's older, and has "full time MF" if that's your thing. It's just a nice budget lens and light as a feather, comparatively, (which is the reason my wife bought it) but far from being just an exchange.

I have tested it on my 7D2 and 5D4, for what it's worth, and it does a fine job, not L quality, but it's sometimes hard to tell the shots apart. I am the dreaded "pixel  peeper" and I see the difference at 100%, heh heh. My wife bought it for her T7i and her images look pretty dang good, but remember, she is a retired pro photographer. It shines on her new R6 w/ring adapter.

Newton

**EDIT: to clarify, the 75-300 wasn't actually a "kit lens", that was an EF-S 18-55, but the guy at Wolf Camera threw it in to get me to buy the T4i 😉

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

"... not L quality, but it's sometimes hard to tell the shots apart."

That is usually the way things work out and why you don't just go for marginally better. For instance my comment that going from the T6i to a T8i, yes. it is better but just marginally. So it is an upgrade but how much remains the question.

No matter what newer model kit lens you buy and hopefully Canon doesn't make one that is worse, is better. However, just how much of an upgrade did you get. Not much. You still have low end build. Low end glass. The "L" shows it stuff when conditions are not the best.

Of course all this is based on just how much of an upgrade a person wants and the budget availability. To me tiny imporvements aren't worht it and always end up costing you more in the long run.

"I quickly bought the 70-300 L ..."

BTW, the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM Lens is not an "L" lens.  It's not even in the same zip code. You have two of nearly the same FL zooms and can still 'upgrad' to a Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II USM Lens. Buying nearly the same FL zoom lens three times!

EB

Ernie, I never said the EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM was an "L". I compared it's IS to that of my 70-300L.

As for your "It's not even in the same zip code" comment, I agree and alluded to that early on. But a lot of us live in the "can't afford or need L" zipcode.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

"...a lot of us live in the "can't afford or need L" zipcode."

You did notice I said, "... just how much of an upgrade a person wants and the budget availability."

EB

"I would be far more inclined to upgrade the 75-300mm first, though."

Me too! The ef 70-200mm f4L is just begging to come home with the her.

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements