Did you mean: 

how do I hook camera to computer

pmlarsh
Apprentice

5 REPLIES 5

ScottyP
Authority

If you are just trying to get the photos off the camera:

For several reasons most people would probably sluggers you take the camera's memory card out and then just use a card reader to upload the images to storage. 

If you are trying to shoot with the camera "tethered" to a laptop so you can see the images as you shoot, that is a different question.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

USB cable. 

It came with your camera unless it was a used one and somebody didn't give one to you.

Nothing else is required.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

USB cable. 

It came with your camera unless it was a used one and somebody didn't give one to you.

Nothing else is required.

But you can no longer count on using the same cable for all your cameras. For the longest time all Canon cameras had a mini-USB port. But I was annoyed to discover that the 7D Mark II uses micro-USB.  Smiley Frustrated

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I am guessing that is due to the fact that it is USB 3.0

@kvbarkley wrote:

I am guessing that is due to the fact that it is USB 3.0

Indirectly, I suppose. They probably decided that a mini-USB 3.0 port would take up too much space.

I'd gladly give up the extra speed for the compatibility of a USB 2.0 port. I always use a card reader, so almost the only reason I connect directly to a computer is to synchronize the time between my wife's 7D2 and my cameras when we're about to do a photo shoot together.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
click here to view the gallery
Announcements