cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

auto focus and why don't people manually focus.

paulbrogden10
Enthusiast

Hello Guys and gals

I wanted to talk about photography in general here as I watch alot of youtube reviews and get very anoyed at people reviewing lenses such as the sigma 150-600 complaining that it is not sharp. I am sorry to say this but when I look at their images they seem to be ignoring the rest of the photo as I can clearly see that the image is sharp.

In many instances I can see the branch near to the bird their trying to photograph is sharp to my eye any way. It seems to be auto focus is a fine bit of technology but it will never be able to do the job better than the human eye can. I wonder why people never use manual focus more often. When I went to college I learned every thing regarding manual focus processing film and the like it seems to me auto focus has made people lazy.

Come on people use manual focus more often. A true photorapher does not need auto focus to get the image he needs. It seems to me a skill that photographers have forgotten. It takes time to practise many times when the auto focus started hunting because it got confused i would use manual control and get the image messing about using auto focus can make you miss the shot your after.

I remember my first SLR in the film days and loved the eye detection focus as I was the one chosing which part was in focus just by looking at it I really miss that meathod of focusing. Take care Paul.

26 REPLIES 26

I would have to defer your question to Ernie. I think he has used all of those lenses. I'm going to predict that he will tell you to go for the 100-400mm mark 2.

[EDIT]  One last word about having a very strong, robust tripod.  Manual focusing.  When you try to manual focus on a tripod with a long lens, the image will shake around in the rear LCD screen,  The longer the lens, the worse the shake.  My smaller tripod worked great at shorter focal lengths, but it looked like a massive earthquake in progress if tried to use more than 300mm focal length on a crop sensor, effectively 480mm. 

My big tripod is an oak tree.  My panorama shots come out MUCH sharper and smoother looking.  I'm guessing that there is less micro-vibrations from the shutter movement on the big tripod.  I can see a difference on the smaller tripod between taking a regular shot, and locking up the shutter before taking a shot.  Not much of a difference on big boy.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I would have to defer your question to Ernie. I think he has used all of those lenses."

The answer is very simple.  The three lenses are virtually similar in IQ.  So do you need 600mm?  That will answer your question.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I've been wondering if I could use the Sigma 150-600 C but every time I look up the specs it seems too heavy for me. I'm on the flight line for about 7 hours with 2 heavy set ups already & every ounce gets heavier as the day goes by. I have a 300 f2.8 L IS I rarely use which I could sell but I realy don't think I'd be happy about that later.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

hello I believe the sigma 150-600 c is light so what are you talking about the canon 100-400 is heavier.

@paulbrogden10 wrote:

hello I believe the sigma 150-600 c is light so what are you talking about the canon 100-400 is heavier.

Not according to the manufacturers specifications

Canon

EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
Approx. 3.46 lbs./1570g (without tripod mount)
Approx. 3.62 lbs./1640g (with tripod mount)

Sigma

150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C
Weight 1930g/ 68oz.

150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S

Weight 2860g/ 100.9oz

@TTMartin wrote:

@paulbrogden10 wrote:

Not according to the manufacturers specifications

Canon

EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
Approx. 3.46 lbs./1570g (without tripod mount)
Approx. 3.62 lbs./1640g (with tripod mount)

Sigma

150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C
Weight 1930g/ 68oz.

150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S

Weight 2860g/ 100.9oz

Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Lens

Weight   3.92 lb  (1780g)

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Whatever, the "S" on a 1 series is very heavy.  Ready to shoot, you are looking at around 14 lbs.  You are not going to hold it for 7 hours or even one hour.  A few shots is all you really want!  But it can be done.

_52D2080.jpg

100% crop and hand held by an old, old man.  It can be done.

EB

By early afternoon they all seem heavy & my right wrist starts hurting because I'm in the ready to shoot position most of those 7 hours. My left wrist starts complaining around 3:00 PM.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

You don't want the "S" for your shooting!  Smiley Sad

EB

FBurr
Contributor

I used to agree with you -- manual focus was the way to go.  Until my eyes went first.  Then I would use live view on the display, move the focus square to that part of the shot I wanted to be tack sharp, then take the photo.  I've been really satisfied with the results.

Now, having just had cataract surgery, I am amazed to be able to look through the viewfinder and see everything in sharp focus, so I may go back to manual focus in less dynamic environments.  But then shooting sporting events that are relatively fast moving, autofocus is faster than I can be.

Sailor-retired USN. former 5D Mk II user - recently graduated to the R6
Announcements