cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't my camera focus?

crazy4jack
Apprentice

Hi Everyone -  I just joined the group today.  I just bought the T5 and I already need help!  I went to dinner tonight and brought my new toy with me and I just thought I would play around with it in full auto mode and get a few shots.  The lighting wasn't great but not horrible either but in full auto mode it would not focus and take the shot.  I had the kit 18-55 lens on.  I was about 3 feet from my subject.   My camera phone was able to take a shot so why couldn't my T5? 

Thanks!!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

OK let's see;

Your lens should focus to about 1 foot.  Well in the limit you said, so that isn't it.

In Full Auto, the flash should have popped up if it was too dark. So, that isn't it either.  Is it?

What might be the cause is, you had the lens set to MF.  Does the T5 operate OK in normal daylight?

You really can't compare a cell phone camera to a DSLR.  They do not operate the same way. They have more in common with a video camera than they do with a DSLR.  There isn't a shutter in a cell phone. So the very, very tiny sensor is energized for as long as it takes to get the picture.  One reason why their photos are so bad, besides the tiny sensor!

I think you should start from scratch.  Set the T5 back to factory defults and try again making sure the lens is in AF, too.   The camera will not do that for you even in Full Auto.   Format the SD card again, too.  Fully charge the battery.  If there is a problem with the T5, the Service Center will ask you this, or do it for you, so you might as well do it first.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

cicopo
Elite

Was the AF / MF switch on the LENS set to AF?

3 feet may be too close for it to focus, your manual will cover the minimum focal distance for that lens.

You may have needed to turn AF ASSIST on in the menus.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

OK let's see;

Your lens should focus to about 1 foot.  Well in the limit you said, so that isn't it.

In Full Auto, the flash should have popped up if it was too dark. So, that isn't it either.  Is it?

What might be the cause is, you had the lens set to MF.  Does the T5 operate OK in normal daylight?

You really can't compare a cell phone camera to a DSLR.  They do not operate the same way. They have more in common with a video camera than they do with a DSLR.  There isn't a shutter in a cell phone. So the very, very tiny sensor is energized for as long as it takes to get the picture.  One reason why their photos are so bad, besides the tiny sensor!

I think you should start from scratch.  Set the T5 back to factory defults and try again making sure the lens is in AF, too.   The camera will not do that for you even in Full Auto.   Format the SD card again, too.  Fully charge the battery.  If there is a problem with the T5, the Service Center will ask you this, or do it for you, so you might as well do it first.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements