cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do you store your digital photos? CD? Flash Drive?

ilzho
Rising Star

Hello:

I have a lot of pictures on my computer that I would like to keep, but get them off of my hard drive.

What are some of the things that you do?

Do you store them on CDs?, flash drives?, online sites?

Thanks,

David

4 REPLIES 4

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

David,

When I was working I had a redundant backup.  My computer has two 2TB hard drives.  I have three 1 TB portable HDs that hold the back ups. One of those HD gets removed from the area at all times.  It's all over kill for me now so I don't use the former back up system.  I do copy the files from the computer to the portable drives when I think about it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I use Western Digital network storage devices.  I use MS Windows and a local LAN.

I use a 4TB "My Cloud" of shared storage that I can access from any computer that has an internet connection. This personal cloud can be shared with other users.  The local connection on my LAN is very fast, and it also contains a DLNA server, which means it is a type of media server.

I use a Western Digital 4-bay 8TB NAS, which currently has two empty bays, for storing and editing photos.  I also have Windows Server machine configured as a file server.  This is where I point Canon DPP and Adobe Lightroom to edit files. 

I use Microsoft's free "SyncToy" application to backup/copy files to the NAS device.  It runs automatically on a set schedule that you can easily set up.  I highly recommend it to anyone looking for an automatic backup solution between local storage locations.  It's free.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hard drives are cheap while hard drive recovery isn't. My work flow is to download to 1 drive in my computer which I assembled & has 4 or 5 drives usually 3 of which are for photos & editing. I then copy those files to one of the other drives BEFORE I will re use the memory cards or delete the files on them. After editing I copy all of the original files plus all edit sets to a portable drive, copy the edits to the first drive the files went to & then get ready to do it all again after my next event, whether it be a family birthday or one of the radio control events etc that I shoot. NEVER trust a single drive. Even relatively new drives fail without warning. (I have several hard drives that once lived in my computer that are full & in storage labelled & with a printed page of the contents if ever needed including one specifically used for the family photos. It also has a mirrored set of files on a portable drive so anyone in the family can access the files easily after I'm dead & burried. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@ilzho wrote:

Hello:

I have a lot of pictures on my computer that I would like to keep, but get them off of my hard drive.

What are some of the things that you do?

Do you store them on CDs?, flash drives?, online sites?

Thanks,

David

You should keep your photos in 3 places. 

I use portable hard drives for one copy, I use Amazon Cloud free unlimited RAW storage with Prime membership for a second, and then finally a JPG copy on Flickr. And the reality is I usually have two copies on portable hard drives, because my computer backs up to one too.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements