cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to buy

Fudge819
Apprentice
Hi , im new here, my name is Vanessa, im from Quebec, Canada, i presently own a canon xsi and have owned it for atleadst 5 years, im ready for change , i mostly take pictures of my horses, i breed Canadian horses, and my children and nature ... Now my question is, what should i be looking for , ? I own a few lens from my xsi , i want something that can take pictures of my black horses in mouvement , grey skies are the usual here especially in winter, so a camera that will give me those crisp details and defenition of a black horse, plus those familie moments..... I dont want to pay too much, 2000$ for example ..

Thankyou very much
13 REPLIES 13

Fudge819
Apprentice
I mean i wont pay 2000$ , but 800$ maybe

I would recommend one of the T6 rebels, either the T6i or the T6s.  You could purchase just the camera body, and stay close to your budget before any applicable taxes and shipping. 

Functionally, the two T6 models are virtually identical.  The T6s adds a couple of user interface features that are well worth the additional cost.  One is the LCD screen in the top surface, almost just like what you see on Canon's higher end cameras. 

The other big feature is that the T6s has a built-in level, so that you can use the LCD screen to level your camera on a tripod.  Taking a near perfectly level shot is essential for shots taken with wider angle lenses, below 35mm.  Leveling the shot reduces the effects of barrel distortion, which appears in the form of vertical lines at the edges of the image leaning inward [camera pointing above level], or vertical lines that lean outward [camera pointing below level].

There are many holiday deals available on both cameras, most are kits, but all you really want is the body.  Seeing that you are in Canada and I'm in New York, I cannot recommend any vendors to use that are based in Canada, online or otherwise.  My favorite online vendor is an NYC superstore. 

You may also wish to look at the fully guarantted, factory refurbished cameras that Canon offers in its' online store.  I've made several lens purchases there, including a 6D.  Items come and go, in and out of stock.  If you shop there be patient and observe how the pricing and availability changes.  I have picked up a couple of "L" lenses at roughly 1/3 off the regular list price: EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM and the EF 16-35 EF f/2.8 IS II USM.

[EDIT]  I just checked some online prices and holiday sales.  The cost of the least expensive camera kit [camera with a lens] is selling for the same price as just the body alone in a couple of places.  Go figure.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

[EDIT]  I just checked some online prices and holiday sales.  The cost of the least expensive camera kit [camera with a lens] is selling for the same price as just the body alone in a couple of places.  Go figure.

I can top that! I just ordered (from one of those New York stores that we all frequent) a 7D Mark II as a Christmas present for my wife. She already has the necessary lenses, so I started out with the "body only" option. But one of their "bundle" options included a new Canon printer for the same price. Our old Canon printer isn't dead yet, so I don't really need a printer; but at $0.00 it's pretty much a no-brainer. But there's more: Canon has a promotion going where you can file for a rebate if you buy a camera and a printer at the same time. The bottom line is that Canon will pay me $350 to take a free printer because I bought a 7D Mark II.

So if you happen to need a 7D2, and especially if you happen to also need a printer, you might find it worth your while to ease on over to the Web site of that store with two letters in its name.  Smiley Happy

(The Forum moderators will probably erase that rebate amount, so I'll just say it was enough to get my attention.)  Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@Bob

Go for it, and Happy Holidays.  I doubt the forum moderators will remove your promotion of the Canon promotion.  I picked up a Pro-100, too.  I even posted a review of it, look for it.  The Pro-100 is technically a large format printer, which means that it is HUGE, so that it can handle the large format paper sizes.  Luckily, I had a spare coffee table sitting around in my "Computer Romper Room", which used to be one of the boys' rooms. 

The printer will surprise you with its' output.  People actually want to pay me money for some of the framed prints I have.

I hope she gets the packages before the week ends.  Stock up on paper, but not on ink.  Ink tends to expire.  Paper has a much longer shelf life when properly stored.  Canon has been clearing out both the printers and paper since summer.

" I even posted a review of it, look for it."

How about telling us where it is?  Smiley Indifferent

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" I even posted a review of it, look for it."

How about telling us where it is?  Smiley Indifferent

Bob: "I can top that! I just ordered (from one of those New York stores that we all frequent) a 7D Mark II ..."

"You go to B&H."

I posted the review in early September.  It is buried somewhere way more than 100 reviews in.  Look for a picture of my new desk, though.  The shot made it to their home page.IMG_0800.png

I am on my forth large format Pro-xxxx (whatever) Canon printer.  I have the 9000, 9500 II, and two Pro-100's.  I just wondered what you thought of them.  But I don't want to do a lot of searching.

I have loaded up on paper, several thousand sheets of all sizes and types.  Buying on sale is fantastic. Another outstanding paper company is Red River.  They have profiles for all their papers for the Pro-100.  I particularly like their metal and canvas paper.

Everyone on this site knows I am not a big DPP fan.  But the latest version of Print Studio Pro is pretty good. I am liking it more all the time.  Even though I am a dedicate PS user and not a add-in type.  I urge you to try it.  It is Win 10 compatible now, too.

Before getting the first Pro-9000, I was first an Epson and later a HP owner.  I still have and use the HP Photosmart printer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I love the Pro-100.  I have intermittent communication issues with it that may be more the fault of my wireless LAN's security, than it is an issue with the printer, though.  I cannot seem to wake it up from my laptop unless I connect [the laptop] to the network using a LAN cable, not wirelessly.  I need to run more tests with the printer on a LAN cable, instead of wireless as it is now.

I bought the printer outright, not part of a package with a camera.  I didn't pay attention to how big and heavy the thing actually is.  It weights in at over 40 pounds, and needs a 30" x 30" footprint if you use the rear most paper slot.

Fudge819
Apprentice
Wow ! Thanks Waddizler, can you tell me what stores you are talking about,? Maybe they can ship to Canada
Announcements