cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to photograph Neowise?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Want to photograph comet Neowise?  Here is how I would do it and I might if the sky clears. Whether stars will trail in your photo or not, depends on the 500 rule.  It says 500 divided by the focal length of the lens equals the exposure time to keep stars sharp.  

I.E. 18mm / 500=33.3 seconds, 50mm / 500=10 seconds.  This is a general rule because not all DSLRs have the same size sensor.

Your camera needs to have a manual mode.  You can focus, use manual focus, on any bright star because when any star is in focus all stars are in focus. Even comets!

You do not need a telephoto lens!  Matter of fact you can get great comet and landscape pictures using a wide-angle lens.

The standard kit lens that comes with many cameras, the 18-55mm is fine. Try different focal lengths. Use fairly long exposures like 10-20-30 seconds and ISO 1600 or 3200. Keep the 500 Rule in mind. You will need a tripod.

Make sure you “bracket”. This means try different exposure settings.

You can get a close-up of the comet’s tail. But for close ups you do need a telephoto lens.  For instance, a 300mm lens would be great. It needs shorter exposures, however, like 2 or 3 seconds at perhaps ISO 3200 to get detailed pictures.  These are basic settings, try several and happy star gazing.

You can find Neowise in the lower northwest sky.  But you really do need to get to a dark sky place away fro any bright lights.

Some can see it naked eye but binoculars are best so take them along, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
29 REPLIES 29

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"The NYC tri-state area has been blanketed with cloud cover ..."

I hear ya!  So has Kansas but it cleared up a bit tonight.

_OS12003-Pano-Edit.jpg

I caught a meteor and Neowise in this three shot pano. Smiley Happy  EOS 1DX, 24mm, f4, 10 sec, ISO 3200.

That just might be the International Space Station.  I believe it passed over the US yesterday evening.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"That just might be the International Space Station.  I believe it passed over the US yesterday evening."

It did and we saw it too. It does not streak. No, this was a meteor that burned up in the atmosphere.

Did you know that the the group of stars commonly known as the Big Dipper and Ursa Major are actually the same thing? Comet Neowise is directly below.

_OS12011-Edit.jpg

EB

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Expanding on the 500 Rule - for folks without a full frame (35mm equivalent sensor) camera - i.e. Rebels, XXXD, XXD and 7D cameras - the "rule" is adjusted by the crop factor. You folks would use a 300 rule. Even then, depending on the enlargement, you might not get point stars. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"You folks would use a 300 rule."

Absolutely I should have stated that in the first post, thanx.   Smiley Happy

EB

Finally a clear night in the Mt. Washington Valley.

DX302900.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Cool shot. Love the water. Smiley Happy

EB

Thank you.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

International Space Station crossing the comet.

DX302866.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

WOW!  Smiley Happy

EB

EOS 1DX, 420mm, f5.6, 10 sec., ISO 3200. A 420mm telephoto lens on a full frame 35mm camera like the 1DX is equivalent to looking through 8-power binoculars. With this power of magnification, a 10 second exposure is pressing the limits of sharp clear photography.
But just look at the colors. You can't see that without ocular assistance.

_OS12027.jpg

Before you say it, yeah, I used a 1.4x tel-con on my ef 300mm f4L lens. Smiley Happy

EB
Announcements