cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total beginner, what to pick , birds, outdoors etc ?

Macv
Apprentice

Help, so many to choose from, just to get started total biginner, less than 1.500 usd..

4 REPLIES 4

hsbn
Whiz
Nobody can tell but you, try them all and see what you like most. All of us have to go through this path. You can get 70D kit and it should be good.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Skirball
Authority

I don't believe in spending money just because you have it.  If you're a total beginner, get a beginner kit.  Stash away the extra money for when you figure out what type of photography you want and get some lenses for it.

$600 can get you a nice little kit:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/914091-REG/canon_digital_rebel_t3i_18_55mm_is.html

cale_kat
Mentor

Get a EOS Rebel T5i with the 18-55mm kit lens. Birds generally take a long lens but you'll find a shorter range like the 18-55 more rewarding. With the savings from your $1.5k budget take a community course in photography.  Photography is like that. You get something and then need to spend a considerable effort learning to use it. Figure that for every dollar you spend on equipment, you should spend at least a dollar on building technique. It's that important but the T5i is a body you can grow into.

Good luck.

Edited: The post previously said that a teleconverter could extend the range of the 18-55 lens was incorrect. The EF-S design lenses, such as the 18-55 kit lens referenced above, are not compatible with the teleconverters made by Canon and presumably all other parties.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I can't quite get to the $1500 limit but close. Smiley Happy   The Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG APO OS (Optical Stabilizer) HSM AutoFocus Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon and a Rebel T5i kit would make a pretty nice 'starter', 'birder' outfit.

The Siggy has a $200 rebate right now.  T5i is around $749 and the rebated Sigggy is $869 = $1618. 

B&H has a E+ used one for $799. ($749 + 869 = $1548) Smiley Happy

T5i body only and the big Sigma would make it under your $1500 limit.  The used one way under you lmit.  Enoch for a nice tripod left over.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements