cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending multiple photos

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I will have the opportunity to send a bunch of images to another person. I was thinking of Dropbox, mailing a zip drive or sending as a slide show. TIA.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
16 REPLIES 16

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Zip Drive?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_drive

ZIP_Drive_100,_2.jpg

Remember, you are talking to old timers here that have actually used these, and might have experienced the "Click of Death". (Though I never did)

Old timers? Who? Me? I remember when gas was 19 cents a gallon! I was thinking of the thumb drive that fits in the USB port. I also have my slide rule from college.

John

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@Tintype_18 wrote:

I will have the opportunity to send a bunch of images to another person. I was thinking of Dropbox, mailing a zip drive or sending as a slide show. TIA.

The Dropbox method seems to me the most flexible.  Sending a hardware device cost you in both hardware, shipping and then there is the risk of it not arriving.  the slide show still has to be transferred and then you are committed to the format of the slide show. Setting up a dropbox folder should provide instance access and can be use for repeated transfer of images.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:

@Tintype_18 wrote:

The Dropbox method seems to me the most flexible.  Sending a hardware device cost you in both hardware, shipping and then there is the risk of it not arriving.  the slide show still has to be transferred and then you are committed to the format of the slide show. Setting up a dropbox folder should provide instance access and can be use for repeated transfer of images.

I agree with Trevor. 

Using Dropbox or One Drive sharing is bastthe same as emailing the files. And the receiving person doesn't need One Drive or  Dropbox. Just click on the link and download the files. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks, guys. I have used Dropbox to send multiple photos for magazine articles. If I recall, you don't have to reduce the photos as in an email. DB is as handy as a pocket on a tee shirt.

John

I use both. Dropbox and thumb drive. Most of my clients prefer a thumb drive. If you are sending full res photos Dropbox can be pretty slow for some folks. I would ask what your client prefers.

I never use and I really don't like One Drive.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I use both. Dropbox and thumb drive. Most of my clients prefer a thumb drive. If you are sending full res photos Dropbox can be pretty slow for some folks. I would ask what your client prefers.

I never use and I really don't like One Drive.

Ernie, with the greatest respect, I would be interested to know why you have such an aversion to OneDrive: I have used it for since its inception and found it to be perfectly fine - in fact I use it in preference to Drop Box, although I am the first to say that this is no reflection on Drop Box, it's just my preference.  Frankly, as per your advice - I think it is important to ask what the client wants as a means of delivery.

If one is physically handing over images to someone, then I can see a USB drive as being beneficial, however sending one via the mail or courier seems slow, more costly (in terms of the cost of the drive and P&P), and has more risk.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

"... I would be interested to know why you have such an aversion to OneDrive:"

A basic dislike for Microsoft. It tries to take over everything and gives little control to the user. MS is the big dog and they try to show it at every chance.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"... I would be interested to know why you have such an aversion to OneDrive:"

A basic dislike for Microsoft. It tries to take over everything and gives little control to the user. MS is the big dog and they try to show it at every chance.

with all due respect, I have to disagree with you there Ernie.  I worked for a business partner to them for the design of the WIndows 95 and Office 95 interface, and was a master trainer for them for over a decade.  I also did work for Apple and can assure you that they are no different from any other company.  I have heard the same crticism levelled at Apple, for example, which keeps a tight reign on their hardware devices as well as their software.  Frankly, they are BOTH protecting their market space, and that is even more critical with all of the cyber threats now in the environment.

For myself, having worked in the industry for some decades, I prefer to be able to rescue a system from a command prompt, rather than have to rebuild it.  Still, each to their own!   I think it IS important to say why one decries any product or service though: it gives the readers a chance to understand the basis and context for the perpective.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements