cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling or Donating Canon Camera Equipment

DebN
Contributor

I am new to this so please be patient.  My husband is in a memory care center and I have been cleaning closets out and I couldn't believe the amount of Canon camera equipment that I found that has been used maybe once or never that cost a pretty penny.  Does anyone know where I can go to try to either sell or donate all the items I have???? Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Deb and welcome to the forum:

I am sincerely sorry to learn of your situation, and want to assure you that we will all do our best to help you.  I went through a similar situation with a good friend who passed away and left his wife to deal with his gear.  It was very hard for her and I ended up sorting out and arranging for the sale of the equipment, so I have some idea of how hard this can be for a partner.

The first thing to do is get an inventory of the equipment left behind.  Depending upon the model, age and condition of the equipment, it may be worth quite a bit, but a detailed listing will help to clarify that.

Assuming you are in the US (and I am not), I would recommend the following:

1.  If your husband was a member of a local photographic society, or had friends who were fellow photographers, see if they will help you get a detailed list of the gear.   Desirably, this should include the Make, model, serial number and if there is a receipt, especially for the newer equipment - this latter is because a proof of purchase may confirm if it is still covered by warranty, which has some value.

Consider contacting a local camera store and see if they will help you with the inventory on the premise that you will put at least some of the gear for sale on consignment through them.

If you can get this information, there are several sites in the US that sell camera equipment.  One is https://KEH.com.  You join, and they have people who will help you and guide you through the process of listing your gear.  They will give you prices to buy your equipment.

I am sure there are other outlets, depending on where precisely you are located, and my associates will doubtless have much more information to offer you.

We are all here to help.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Deb and welcome to the forum:

I am sincerely sorry to learn of your situation, and want to assure you that we will all do our best to help you.  I went through a similar situation with a good friend who passed away and left his wife to deal with his gear.  It was very hard for her and I ended up sorting out and arranging for the sale of the equipment, so I have some idea of how hard this can be for a partner.

The first thing to do is get an inventory of the equipment left behind.  Depending upon the model, age and condition of the equipment, it may be worth quite a bit, but a detailed listing will help to clarify that.

Assuming you are in the US (and I am not), I would recommend the following:

1.  If your husband was a member of a local photographic society, or had friends who were fellow photographers, see if they will help you get a detailed list of the gear.   Desirably, this should include the Make, model, serial number and if there is a receipt, especially for the newer equipment - this latter is because a proof of purchase may confirm if it is still covered by warranty, which has some value.

Consider contacting a local camera store and see if they will help you with the inventory on the premise that you will put at least some of the gear for sale on consignment through them.

If you can get this information, there are several sites in the US that sell camera equipment.  One is https://KEH.com.  You join, and they have people who will help you and guide you through the process of listing your gear.  They will give you prices to buy your equipment.

I am sure there are other outlets, depending on where precisely you are located, and my associates will doubtless have much more information to offer you.

We are all here to help.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Trevor -- Oh my gosh -- this is such helpful information for someone who didn't know where to start.  I really appreciate your kindness in sharing this with me.  I will let you know how it works out.  I am in the US.

Cheers to you too Deb

Trevor - I wanted to thank you for the information you sent me about KEH.com -- I just sent off my husband's camera equipment to them today.  It was very easy and convenient with them giving you the federal express labels.  I hope I get what they have quoted me but if I get anything, I will be happy.  This was a big help.  It did take me some time to go through everything and sort out then pack up properly but it's done.  Again, a BIG THANK YOU.  Deb

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Just to add, KEH will buy your equipment.  You don't have to list it for sale and be a middleman.  They buy your gear outright and they sell it.  You can also use them as evaluation resource to see what you might expect for used gear valuation.  They have a grading system, like new minus, excellent, good, bargain etc.  This can help you determine the value of particular piece of gear or equipment.  If you have the time you can also try selling privately but this is more work.  My father-in-law is in memory care.  I know how hard this can be.  Wishing both of you the best.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for your kind words and response.  What is KEH stand for?  Deb

Shadowsports -- Thank you for recommending KEH.com to me (as one other person also recommended).  I just sent off my husband's camera equipment today.  It took some time for me to sort out everything and inventory it but KEH makes it smooth going and were very responsive with emails when I had questions.  Again, a BIG THANK YOU.  Deb

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

www keh dot com

Visit the site, you'll understand and see when you visit the site.  Choose "Sell" 

shadowsports_0-1687380849369.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you!  

normadel
Authority
Authority

Another excellent used equipment dealer who handles film and digital stuff is Roberts Photo/UsedPhotoPro.com

UsedPhotoPro.com

Be aware that these business will give you a preliminary quote based on condition you specify. If/when you ship it to them (which they pay for), they will examine it and either confirm the quote they gave you, or change the offer based on their evaluation. You can get quotes from both companies. 

If the cameras are digital rather than film, MPB.com is also a good outfit.

Also be advised that these companies are resellers, so what they pay you is not retail value, but a fraction of what you could get selling it yourself, if you have the desire and wherewithal to do it yourself.

Announcements