cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF and EF lens compatibility with EOS R6 and EOS 2000D

Aceson
Apprentice

Hello, I'm a high school student; I have started doing sports photography as a side gig. I have some questions; first off, I've been thinking about buying a used Canon R6. I am confused about whether my current EF lenses will work with the R6 or if I will only have to use RF lenses and buy an adapter. Also, I have a Canon EOS 2000D right now; I have been using it for about a year now and absolutely love it. I have started taking it more seriously and have thought about buying a used R6, which is in my price range. 

Any help at all will really help me out. 

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You can use EF and EF-S lenses on an R camera with the Canon adapter. Not that if you use an EF-S lens, it will crop the image on the R6 to the APS-C sized frame.

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome

What lenses do you have now?

As my colleague indicated, while you can use EF lenses on an R6 via the EF-RF adapter, using EF-S lenses have the issue that while they physically commect, they will project onto only part of the FF sensor, reducing the sensor ny a factor of 2.56. Thus your 20MP R6 sensor is reduced to about 7.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hello and thank you for the help. I have a 70-300mm 4.6 right now, this is what I use for sports photos.

Thanks for your response.  Can I assume you mean a variant of the Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM?  You can use any version of that lens on the EOS R6 via a Canon EF-RF adapter and use the whole sensor area to delivery the full 20MP image potential. 

Using a crop-sensor camera such as the EOS 2000D will have an impact on how it captures the image projected by the lens.  Essentially, the crop sensor has a 'magnifying effect' on the resultant images, making it seem like you are using a longer focal length lens than is actually the case - specifically, for your lens the results will seem like you are using a 112-480mm lens.  This is not obvious when you are sticking to one type of sensor, but when you use that same lens on the Full-Frame R6, then you will seem to get a lot less magnification - essentially, it is delivering the Field of View of its native 70-300 focal range.  If you wanted to get the same Field of View with the R6, then you would use something like the an RF 100-500 lens.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM?

You do mean 70-300mm and not 75-300mm? Is your lens white or black?  If it is the black one I am not sure I would spend the cost of the adapter to use it on a new R series body. And if it is the 75-300mm I absolutely would not but if it is the white one you are good to go.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements