5Dsr Style Settings

hvulpus
Contributor

Hi,

I am about to set off with my 5Dsr on a long shoot of Romanesque churches in France, with special focus upon the fineness of sculptural detail.  My goal is capturing both the sharpness of sculptural detail and the texture or feel of the stone.  I am, however, at somewhat of a loss when it comes to setting the Style.  I notice that among the various options of Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Fine Detail, Neutral, Faithful, there are subsettings of Sharpness and Contrast, Saturation, and Color Tone.  Under Sharpness there are the categories of Strength, Fineness, and Threshold.  Can anyone on the Forum or the Moderator from Canon explain what these three terms mean in terms of Sharpness? Or, can anyone suggest a custom Setting, as this, too, is possible.  I will be using a tripod and shooting at ISO 100, so no need to worry too much about noise.

Thank you so much.  Howard

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@hvulpus wrote:

Hi,

I am about to set off with my 5Dsr on a long shoot of Romanesque churches in France, with special focus upon the fineness of sculptural detail.  My goal is capturing both the sharpness of sculptural detail and the texture or feel of the stone.  I am, however, at somewhat of a loss when it comes to setting the Style.  I notice that among the various options of Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Fine Detail, Neutral, Faithful, there are subsettings of Sharpness and Contrast, Saturation, and Color Tone.  Under Sharpness there are the categories of Strength, Fineness, and Threshold.  Can anyone on the Forum or the Moderator from Canon explain what these three terms mean in terms of Sharpness? Or, can anyone suggest a custom Setting, as this, too, is possible.  I will be using a tripod and shooting at ISO 100, so no need to worry too much about noise.

Thank you so much.  Howard

Canon Professional eXchange - New Picture Style and Sharpness parameters for Ultra High Resolution

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

John ,

Great article. Thank you for posting.  👍

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements