cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help me choose a camera

milo1982
Contributor

My family and I are going on a long road trip to 5 national parks. Since we are unlikely to repeat this roadtrip, we would appreciate your recommendation. 

We have an older Rebel T3i with 18-135 lens. I was always very happy with the pictures it takes. My wife thinks the camera might be too heavy for hikes and such. Therefore she is contemplating something smaller from canon. 

Could you please recomend a camera that would take pictures as good as my rebel but have a smaller size factor?  We are looking to spend no more than $600.  Thank you very much for your help. 

13 REPLIES 13

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-PowerShot-G7-X-Mark-III-vs-Canon-EOS-M50-Mark-II

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Here are my choices:
- PowerShot G7 X Mark II - New $499
- PowerShot G7 X Mark III - Canon Refurbished - $520
- PowerShot G1 X Mark III - Canon refurbished - $799
- PowerShot G5 X Mark II - Canon refurbished $729
- EOS M50 EF-M 15-45mm - New $499

Smiley Happy

The PowerShot G5 X Mark II is going to be smaller than the PowerShot G1 X Mark III. I would let that make your decision. The PowerShot G1 X Mark III has a bigger sensor so it has to be bigger.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Instead of a camera - the T3i should be fine - I would add the EF 70-300 II to give you a little more reach for wildlife. One of the third-party 150-600 mm lenses would be better but they are outside your price and weight range.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"My wife thinks the camera might be too heavy for hikes and such. Therefore she is contemplating something smaller from canon."

Sounds like you are in the Powershot market.  Chcek out the amazing Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III. It does it all and is extremely small and light to carry.  Make no mistake it take beautiful pictures with a 1" stacked sensor.

The better but might be out of your target price range is the PowerShot G5 X Mark II.  There are other too.

These weigh in at under a pound. Smiley Happy Although I am a 1 series owner, I always have my Powershot G1x close by. It goes with me everywhere. Here's some samples...................................

11.jpg

22.jpg

33.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements