cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help me choose a camera

milo1982
Contributor

My family and I are going on a long road trip to 5 national parks. Since we are unlikely to repeat this roadtrip, we would appreciate your recommendation. 

We have an older Rebel T3i with 18-135 lens. I was always very happy with the pictures it takes. My wife thinks the camera might be too heavy for hikes and such. Therefore she is contemplating something smaller from canon. 

Could you please recomend a camera that would take pictures as good as my rebel but have a smaller size factor?  We are looking to spend no more than $600.  Thank you very much for your help. 

13 REPLIES 13

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Not able to make a recommendation but would a backpack or photographer's vest help in carrying the camera? Go to a sporting goods store and look at the fly fishing vests to carry extra lenses, batteries, etc. Good luck on the trip. My son's family was going to Yellowstone last summer. Cancelled with the virus popping up. Maybe a future trip?

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

You are under 2.5 pounds for the T3i and lens, it will be hard to make a significant weight savings unless you go with a point and shoot and then you are probably giving up some focal length range along with the option of different lenses.  A Canon Powershot point and shoot like the G7 will come in a little under a pound BUT if you need more than a couple of hundred photos per charge, then add a second battery pack.

We all vary in what is too much weight for hiking.  I have done a lot of 16 mile plus mountain day hikes in the Rockies and Smokies with a 1 series Canon DSLR and at least two f2.8 lenses (24-70 and 70-200) in my Lowepro backpack.  Your T3i and lens weighs less than 40 ounces of water, if you are happy with the images then I doubt if the weight will be a concern.  Unless you have additional needs for the same time of camera AFTER the trip, it would be $500 to sit on the shelf afterward.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I was actually thinking about G7. Of course it has its limitations - zoom and such. Do you think it would take lower quality pictures on auto (kidds in from of Grand Canyon etc. ) than my T3i? 

The Powershots sensors are excellent and the lens quality is also good.  It really depends upon whether the focal length range is going to cover all of your needs. 

I shot with 1DX and 5DS series DSLRs but if the Powershot G1 X had a more favorable zoom range I would own one just to keep with me most of the time in vehicles, etc.  I hate smartphone cameras and my 1DX series DSLRs are just a bit large to carry everywhere 🙂

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Here are my choices:
- PowerShot G7 X Mark II - New $499
- PowerShot G7 X Mark III - Canon Refurbished - $520
- PowerShot G1 X Mark III - Canon refurbished - $799
- PowerShot G5 X Mark II - Canon refurbished $729
- EOS M50 EF-M 15-45mm - New $499

What do you guys thinnk? 

Here are my choices:

Smiley Happy

The PowerShot G5 X Mark II is going to be smaller than the PowerShot G1 X Mark III. I would let that make your decision. The PowerShot G1 X Mark III has a bigger sensor so it has to be bigger.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

My family and I are going on a long road trip. This is special as we are unlikely to repeat this road trip. I have been a happy user of Canon Rebel T3i, but the camera is a bit too heavy and is getting old. I am looking to purchase a smaller canon that would take pictures as good as my rebel.

By the way, I also own Sony a6000 and I like its size and performance. Unfortunately, I left it in Europe expecting that I would return shortly - and then the pandemic hit. That why I am in the market for a new camera.

Here are my choices:

To be honest, I am unlikely to engage in serious photography. I will most likely use pre-programmed settings, but I would like good picture quality. I am leaning toward the cheaper options, but I do not mind spending more if the camera would last me years and age well (like my rebel). Thank you very much for your help.

My apologies. I thought that I am asking a different question since I am asking the forum to weigh in on specific model.  I would greatly appreciate your help on this.

(zoom is not that important to me)

Help a guy out, please. 

Announcements