cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for advice from experienced photographer

MDumas1974Canon
Apprentice

I purchased a Canon EOS R the other Day with the RF 24-105 lens, I also purchased a really nice Manfroto Tripod, some memory cards, and a DJI Ronin SC gimbal. I am really excited so my question to you guys what would be the nest thing I should be thinking about? I assume it would be to buy some filters and or a EF Mount adapter and a second lens? I am leaning more towards a Ultra wide angle lens what would you guys recommend and why?

And if you disagreee and feel I should be saving and putting my money into something else please do not hesitate to tell me I would greatly appreciate it. I just want to make sure every dollar counts, I am n to made of money and I have spent thousand of dollars to get serious about this. Thank you in advance I look forward to hearing rom you.

11 REPLIES 11

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@MDumas1974Canon wrote:

I purchased a Canon EOS R the other Day with the RF 24-105 lens, I also purchased a really nice Manfroto Tripod, some memory cards, and a DJI Ronin SC gimbal. I am really excited so my question to you guys what would be the nest thing I should be thinking about? I assume it would be to buy some filters and or a EF Mount adapter and a second lens? I am leaning more towards a Ultra wide angle lens what would you guys recommend and why?

And if you disagreee and feel I should be saving and putting my money into something else please do not hesitate to tell me I would greatly appreciate it. I just want to make sure every dollar counts, I am n to made of money and I have spent thousand of dollars to get serious about this. Thank you in advance I look forward to hearing rom you.

You have told us what you have purchased but nothing at all about what you want to achieve with it.  If you want advice on equipment that is specifc to your needs not biased by responsers' own preferences then you need to provides ome relevent infomration  by answering the following questions:

1.   What is your photographic experience?

2.   What is your budget?

3.   What is your photographic intention - WHY are did you buy a camera?  Do you intend to do social photography (family and friends), as a hobby or more seriously?

4.  What kinds of photography will you engage in and to what degree?  For example: videos, general still photography, portraits, wildlife, etc.  We need to know that to understand what kinds of lenses you would need.

5.   What do you inted to produce - images for social media, on screen viewing, small prints, big prints?

If, as I suspect, you are a novice, then the best thing you can do is keep your money and invest in some photography courses, join a camera club or society and get some experience.  Learn to shoot effectively with what you have, take logts of imags and view them critically.  Photography is more about technique the technology, and if you lack the basics no amount of money or gear will make you a good photographer without understanding how to use a camera, and your camera in particular, and how to compose images.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"DJI Ronin SC gimbal."

Do you have a telephoto lens?  A gimbal isn't much of a help with general normal lenses but they really shine with a telephoto. The bigger the better. Matter of fact I prefer a regular ball head for normal lenses. Canon has some 'interesting' teles coming out for the R.  They are a bit slow for my taste but it is what it is. Lenses is where it at in photography. A good variety of lenses will make it more interesting. Plus it extends your camera's ability to capture exactly what you want.  Try to not over lap too much.

I would not buy a EF adapter if you don't already have some EF lenses. Just buy R lenses to begin with. EF lenses are dead.

You have the 24-105mm so look at something bigger FL wise and something more WA.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"DJI Ronin SC gimbal."

26F15B64-7A23-4602-8848-D04841A15F93.jpeg

[EDIT]. BTW, the connection between camera and smart device is wireless, and most likely Bluetooth.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You really are a piece of work, man. I didn't say it doesn't work, I only stated they really shine with a big tele.  A standard ball head can do as well with shorter lenses. And I prefer it, if that is OK with you. Further if you like bluethooth so well by all means go for it.  Just because you like or use something does not mean all of us have to. Here's a thought get your nose out of books, manuals, and youtube and go out and do some real photography.  Show us how you use all this gear.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

You really are a piece of work, man. I didn't say it doesn't work, I only stated they really shine with a big tele.  A standard ball head can do as well with shorter lenses. And I prefer it, if that is OK with you. Further if you like bluethooth so well by all means go for it.  Just because you like or use something does not mean all of us have to. Here's a thought get your nose out of books, manuals, and youtube and go out and do some real photography.  Show us how you use all this gear.

That gimbal does not mount on a tripod like a ball head.  It is a motion control gimbal use for videography.  It is typically carried at arm's length, and is most commonly used for vlogging.  The gimbal has nothing to do with the Manfrotto tripod, and serves an entirely different purpose.

The gimbal is made for compact mirrorless cameras like the Canon M Series.  There is no accommodation to mount a large telephoto lens on a tripod foot.  The gimbal contains control buttons, like Record Start/Stop. and communicates with the mobile device via Bluetooth.  The mobile device app sends these control button commands to the camera via Bluetooth.

These types of  motion control gimbals are very popular among vloggers shooting outdoors.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Thank you for the detail that would have been helpful in the first post.   WIthout the context I would expect from an experienced photographer it was not unreasonable to ask the question about your background, which you would note was started with an IF.

As to the rest, I have reported it to the moderator and they will make a judgment accordingly.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I am not a video photographer. I am not a mirrorless photographer. I don't read tons of manuals and reviews on the ole inner web all day. I have to work. But I am a gimbal owner and user. Matter of fact I have two. A larger one and a smaller one. All I know is what I do. If I had known it was a video question I would not have answered. Please disregard any of my comments.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I am not a video photographer. I am not a mirrorless photographer. I don't read tons of manuals and reviews on the ole inner web all day. I have to work. But I am a gimbal owner and user. Matter of fact I have two. A larger one and a smaller one. All I know is what I do. If I had known it was a video question I would not have answered. Please disregard any of my comments.

Speaking for myself I was confused by the title of the thread that referenced experienced 'photographer' rather than

'videographer'.  To me the two activities, technologies and skillsets, while having some very limited similarity, are in most ways different.

cheers, TREVOR

@Tronhard wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Speaking for myself I was confused by the title of the thread that referenced experienced 'photographer' rather than

'videographer'.  To me the two activities, technologies and skillsets, while having some very limited similarity, are in most ways different.

I could tell both of you were, which is why I posted an image of what the "gimbal" looked like.

Announcements