cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a new camera body 2K budget

DanielTylerFL
Contributor
My budget is approx 2,000.00 USD for a new camera body. I’m in search for a camera for kids sports, wildlife and some portraits. What camera has a quicker focus and higher MP than my canon T3i. I love the photos I’ve been taking but i want to find a camera body that I can upgrade to. I’ve been learning more about the 5D Mark IV. What are your thoughts?
22 REPLIES 22

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The first question that comes to mind is what lenses do you currently own.  Switching to a full frame body will mean that alll of your EF-S mount lenses would not be compatible with a full frame body.

As for your $2000 budget and a 5D Mark IV goes, something does not sound right.  All authorized Canon dealers sell the same gear at the same prices.  Currently, B&H Photo Vidoe in NYC is asking $2499, and that is a discounted sale price at $600 off the current list price.  

With a price that low, I suggest you pass on the offer because it probably does not have a warranty.  Even a used body should command a higher price than $2000.  

Otherwise, the 5D4 is a very good all around camera.  It would not be my first choice for sports and wildlife, although it could probably do a very good job of it.  I would want a body with a faster frame rate for action photography. Take a look at the 90D.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@DanielTylerFL wrote:
My budget is approx 2,000.00 USD for a new camera body. I’m in search for a camera for kids sports, wildlife and some portraits. What camera has a quicker focus and higher MP than my canon T3i. I love the photos I’ve been taking but i want to find a camera body that I can upgrade to. I’ve been learning more about the 5D Mark IV. What are your thoughts?

Look into the 80D or the 90D, especially if you have any EF-S lenses, which would not work on a 5D IV.

EDIT: Didn't mean to be repetitive, but Waddizzle's very similar post wasn't there when I started typing. Great minds think alike (and at the same time), I guess.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@DanielTylerFL wrote:

Look into the 80D or the 90D, especially if you have any EF-S lenses, which would not work on a 5D IV.

EDIT: Didn't mean to be repetitive, but Waddizzle's very similar post wasn't there when I started typing. Great minds think alike (and at the same time), I guess.

Yes, that is true.   I'm surprised that you did not comment on a 5D4 being within the budget.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@DanielTylerFL,

Agree, Go 90D.  It will allow you to grow your skills immensely from the T3i.  Everything about it is a win for you.  Frame rates, MP's, boost in ISO performance and a great camera for short 4k videos.  You can keep your lenses as the guys pointed out and even buy a new lens for it if you wanted.  Has all the bells and whistles.  I suggest you go shopping and hold one in your hands.   

Anyone who wanted a 5D4 should have picked one up over christmas.  The sales were incredible.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Since there is no clue as to a gear list in your profile, I too am wondering what investment you have in gear.   That helps a lot to put your needs into perspective...

As always in theses scenarios I would like to know what you are going to produce.  Is it to be large prints, smaller prints, output for digital screens (like monitors) or social medial  As you work your way downt that list the need for expensive bodies and lenses decreases.

You say that, aso one of your asperations, you like photographing wildlife - can you be more specific?  Birds in particular tend to use very long telephoto lenses, and I would not encourage shooting macro predators like bears with anything too short! Smiley Wink

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

DanielTylerFL
Contributor
I have a Rebel T3i with the kit lenses. EF f/3.5-5.6 18-55mm and EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6. I’m aiming to grab more birds/dolphins/crocodiles/alligators. Eventually I would love to make some larger prints 2’x3’ish in and around that.

@DanielTylerFL wrote:
I have a Rebel T3i with the kit lenses. EF f/3.5-5.6 18-55mm and EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6. I’m aiming to grab more birds/dolphins/crocodiles/alligators. Eventually I would love to make some larger prints 2’x3’ish in and around that.

Definitely put your saved funds into good glass the 90D will show you the weaknesses of your current lenses. Both lenses are likely the old versions and the 75-300 is arguably Canon's worst lens. 

Personally I would recommend the following, with a mind to your budget projections, consider a refurbished one of any of these...

If you expect to stick with APS-C cameras:

EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS USM. Equivalent FoV 28-88  and arguably Canon's best walk-around lens for an APS-C camera  

or if you want a wider range...

EF-S 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM (latest version).  This is a kit lens but a good one. Equivalent FoV 29-216mm

For telephoto:

Canon EF 70-300 MkII f4-5.6 IS USM  For the money a great medium to long tele, with an equivalent FoV of 112-480mm. It has great optics and as an EF lens will fit a FF camera if you so choose.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks so much for the knowledge.  Really, I had this kit setup in a box in storage in the house for awhile, and just have started doing some exploring with the T3i.  I figured the same...work with this to imporve my shots then find a deal when they come out for the 90D.  I'll keep all that in mind when I do decide to upgrade...I just don't want to get really good at photography and sacriface quality in a better body in that time.  I have no problem spending more for a body if it's really going to up my game, but I suppose whats the next tier up from the 90D?  say 2-4k?

I sent you a personal message.  Look on the top right of the screen just under General Discussion and look for the envelope...

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements