cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my perfectly good CanoScan 656U flatbed scanner really obsolete after Windows XP???

Techneaux
Apprentice

I own a CanoScan 656U flatbed scanner and on occasion, I dust it off and use it.  Well, after attempting to use it on my Windows 7 computer, I had to contact support because no drivers were found and I was prompted to call an 800-phone number to contact Canon.  I was told that there are no drivers beyond Windows XP.  The young lady was very pleasant and apologetic and offered a discounted rate to purchase a new scanner which would include free shipping.  She also offered to assist in recycling the old scanner.  Thanks a lot, Canon!

2 REPLIES 2

Ramona
Authority

Hi Techneaux,

You can try to plug the scanner into your computer and then perform a Windows Update to see if this will allow you to use the scanner; however, since we do not have drivers for the scanner that are compatible with Windows 7, we cannot guarantee that the scanner will work with that operating system.  

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello Ramona,

I appreciate your attempt, but Windows Update says my computer is up to date.  If I factor the times I used this scanner with the price I paid for the scanner, I have paid WAY too much per scan.  I'm better off going to FedEx/Kinkos or Office Depot and paying them on a per-scan basis because I certainly have not gotten my money's worth with the purchase of this Canon scanner. 

Announcements