cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introduction - Twilightscapes

Twilightscapes
Contributor

Hello, my name is Todd Lambert and I was invited by Canon to help launch their new online forums.

I am primarily a night photographer but I do dabble in just about anything else that catches my fancy. I love to shoot at night though, so if you have any questions or want to chat about low light photography, please hit me up.

Thanks! 

I look forward to the growth of these forums and the wealth of knowledge they will eventually contain.

- Todd

Unique Night Time Photography | Twilightscapes.com
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Twilightscapes
Contributor

Since I think I posted this in the wrong section, I'm going to go ahead and test some of the forum features. Smiley Very Happy

Alien Egg Farm

Alien Egg Farm

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Twilightscapes
Contributor

Since I think I posted this in the wrong section, I'm going to go ahead and test some of the forum features. Smiley Very Happy

Alien Egg Farm

Alien Egg Farm

Twilightscapes
Contributor

Edge of the Cosmos
Edge of the Cosmos

cool imgaes, they remind me of something you might see on a planet in outerspace. thank for sharing!

What happened with the foreground and midground? F stop?
Nikon

castillomiami
Contributor

HI Todd  Thanks show this  awesome photos  a lot of inspiration   for me  thanks

Davesg
Apprentice

Todd,

Going to be in the Smokey mtns,would like to get a nite shot high on the horizon showing the shapes of mtns & star trails moving across the sky. Do you have a recommendation for a starting point for ISO,Exposure length and aperture. I have a Vello digital timer which allows unlimited exposure & a T3i.

Thanks in advance. 

Dave

Hi Dave, I apologize for the late response. 

For settngs, I generally start out as wide open as both my equipment and my tolerance can handle. I usually start at about 1600 ISO, lens wide open or maybe stopped down if I have a concern about corners, like my 24L. Exposure time, is normally dictated by preventing stars from trailing and that is based on your focal length, where in the sky you are pointing, etc... but generally I'm at 25 second or less. 

Hope that helps!

Twilightscapes
Contributor

Hey, just because it gives me a reason to come check in on my favorite new forums, I'll post a photo every chance I can.

Old blacksmith hard at work on Excaliber.

This is single shot, after about 6 or 7 attempts to get the right angle and control the harsh light while still being able to use high ISO to pick up stars.

I also used a 17 TS-E lens, and this was shifted down about 4degrees.

Radiance

Radiance

What was the exposure time & aperature?   I have a canon 5D mark 3;  Is it possible to leave on for 1 hour for star trails?

Announcements