cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can’t decide which camera to get

Dogmama6
Apprentice
I am in desperate need to Upgrade my camera. Right now I have a Rebel T1i and my lens is a Tameron 18-250mm. They are both extremely old and the quality of the photos are awful. I take pictures of my kids, their sports, the dogs, and more pictures of my kids. I don’t want a point and shoot. I still want to be able to edit and make the pictures amazing. So what body and lens should I be looking into?
17 REPLIES 17

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Anything will be an upgrade coming from this body.  Too bad, you missed some really great sales....  the black friday and christmas sales were awesome

Do you have any lenses you want to use and keep?

Key information that is missing....  "And my budget is?"

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have a Rebel T1i and my lens is a Tameron 18-250mm. "

The obivious upgrade for you is the Rebel T7i.  If you really like your old Rebel you will like the new T7i a 100 times more.

"I still want to be able to edit and make the pictures amazing."

In this case I suggest you get the T7i with the two lens kit.  It will have the standard zoom 18-55mm and the 55-250mm tele zoom. As far as editing goes and I totally agree editing is mandatory if you want the best pictuers possible, look at Photoshop Elements if you don't want to go with the full blown best editor Photoshop.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Dogmama6
Apprentice
My budget is 1500 and yes, my camera is old. I want a new body and lens. I looked at the Black Friday sales, but I had kids to buy for. So unfortunately Black Friday deals aren’t for me.

@Dogmama6 wrote:
My budget is 1500 and yes, my camera is old. I want a new body and lens. I looked at the Black Friday sales, but I had kids to buy for. So unfortunately Black Friday deals aren’t for me.

You may wish to check out the items that are still on sale in the Canon Online Refurbished Store.  All cameras and lenses come with the same one year warranty as "new" items.  The main difference is the box that it comes in.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-80d-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-stm-kit-refurbished 

The 80D is on sale for nearly half of your budget.  There are some good deals on the 77D and T7i, too.  But I still would recommend the 80D package linked above.  I think it is currently the best bank for the buck package at the moment.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-70-300mm-f-4-5-6-is-ii-usm-refurbished 

I would suggest the above lens, EF 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, for shooting the kids at play.  There are similar lenses, 75-300mm, but I would avoid those because they are much older designs.

[EDIT].

I just noticed that the Refurbished Store is out of stock.  I must have missed that earlier.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-70-300mm-f-4-5-6-is-ii-usm 

Fortunately, the lens is on sale in Canon's OnLine Camera store.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The OP said..........

"I want a new body and lens."

Nuff said. Smiley Happy  Check this kit out ,Canon EOS Rebel T7i DSLR Camera with 18-55mm and 55-250mm Lenses and Accessories Kit.  It is $799 well below your stated budget.

BTW, don't go to Amazon or any place that offers a big "kit" of total junk. Some of the Amazon retailers are not selling authorized Canon USA gear. so beware.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Dogmama6
Apprentice
Thank you so much! I’ll check them all out.

@Dogmama6 wrote:
Thank you so much! I’ll check them all out.

You're welcome.  Here is another telephoto lens you may wish to review, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM.  I like it because it has a wider aperture than the 70-300mm lens that I recommended above.  

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-70-200mm-f-4l-usm 

Granted, it is a little shorter, but it may be a better lens, just the same.  With the 24MP resolution of the 80D, you will be able to crop photos just fine.  Besides, it is Canon's famous L glass.  Buy a clear protective filter from B+W.

I don't want to throw cold water on this, but unless your lens is really bad, a new camera and lens will not make your pictures much better. You should be able to take perfectly fine shots with your current rig, just what is the problem with your images that you want to fix?

@kvbarkley wrote:

I don't want to throw cold water on this, but unless your lens is really bad, a new camera and lens will not make your pictures much better. You should be able to take perfectly fine shots with your current rig, just what is the problem with your images that you want to fix?

I figured "bad photos" meant noisy from high ISOs, and maybe out of focus action shots.  I have reservations about the image quality of the Tamron.  It falls into the category of super zoom, which always seem to have IQ and CA issues.  DPP is not going to do lens correction on the images it produces, so all its' flaws will remain in place.

Announcements