cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone else experienced a LONG delay when sending a camera to Canon for repairs? Shutter

wstubbs
Contributor

Has anyone else experienced a LONG delay when sending a camera to Canon for repairs? Shutter to be replaced on my 6D and they have had my camera for three months.  

13 REPLIES 13

Maybe a parts availability problem? What repair shop did you send it to?

To answer your question, no. I always drop my equipment off at the repair shop, and it has always arrived at my home no more than two days later. But I've never had a shutter replaced. What does Canon say about it?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I made the mistake of paying a local Canon Authorized camera shop to send the camera in, thinking that it would be faster because they have an ongoing relationship with Canon.  Now Canon refuses to provide me with ANY information since the camera shop sent it in on my behalf.  It has now been three months.

@wstubbs wrote:

I made the mistake of paying a local Canon Authorized camera shop to send the camera in, thinking that it would be faster because they have an ongoing relationship with Canon.  Now Canon refuses to provide me with ANY information since the camera shop sent it in on my behalf.  It has now been three months.

What does the camera shop say? They ought to be able to get information out of Canon, even if you can't.

Have you tried giving Canon rhe serial number of the camera? That would allow them to tie it to you, even if the camera shop didn't mention your name.

In any event, it doesn't sound as though you're talking to the right people at Canon. I don't suppose you're a CPS member? (If you were, you'd probably have already sicced them on the case.) I don't doubt that they could pry the information loose.

Bob

I use CPS and send it directly to Canon.  It has never taken more than a week for the repairs and shipping.  But CPS is expedited.

After three months, there is something very wrong and it is not likely Canon.  You need to jump the place you contracted to do what you could/should have done yourself.  Not to worry you but I would be worried.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I use CPS and send it directly to Canon.  It has never taken more than a week for the repairs and shipping.  But CPS is expedited.

After three months, there is something very wrong and it is not likely Canon.  You need to jump the place you contracted to do what you could/should have done yourself.  Not to worry you but I would be worried.

Yeah, it occurred to me that maybe the camera store pawned the camera to pay the electric bill.

Many local camera stores aren't doing too well these days; on-line competition is killing them. Look at the people in this forum. Most of us buy most of our stuff from two or three giant stores. They're more reliable, no more expensive, and almost as fast; and their selection is vastly better.

P.S.: Another (possibly more likely) scenario is that the store decided to do the repair themselves and are having trouble getting the parts or figuring out how to do it correctly. Ernie's right: time to start making some noise.

Bob

wstubbs
Contributor

I have been on the camera shop every week since the beginning. I did give Canon the serial number the service ticket number eyc, they said since I intrusted the camera store with the camera they would not provide me with any information and I needed to call the camera store.

I asked them to verfiy the date they received the camera and they would not do that, I told them that the camera store is blaming them and I would like to clear them but they refused to tell me anything.

The camera store has refunded the entire repair bill including their handling fee.

I told Canon that I would like to file a complaint against the store as one of their Canon authorizaed dealers and they said "Call the camera store"

I told them since they were unwilling to provide any details to defend themselves for the delay I would have to assume that Canon was the problem, they said OK.

UPDATE: my camera was received at the store yesterday and is now back in my camera bag.

VERY DISSAPOINTED in the customer service by Canon.

Hi wstubbs,

We totally understand your frustration. The reason we're unable to release any information to third parties regarding repairs is due to privacy concerns.

When anyone sends a product for service, we're obligated to release information to the individual or company that sent the unit, and if another party calls, we cannot release information about the product.

We always encourage our customers to send anything that requires service directly to our Factory Service Centers. Barring extenuating circumstances, repairs typically take about a week from the date we receive your product to be repaired and returned, and all repairs from Canon have a 6 month warranty on the repair. 

To learn more about the repair process at Canon, check out http://Canon.us/xe47

We hope this helps!

When using a Canon authorized dealer, you would think that Canon would be proactive in the problem.

When you have a customer that has been without their camera for 3 months, that is a problem, when I try to tell your reps the issue and get help the attitude was very rude and uncaring.

If you have an authorized dealer that provides suich poor service, I would think Canon would want to jnow about it and do something to retify the problem.

Hi wstubbs,

We're happy to look into your situation. Please send us an email at canonfriends@cits.canon.com with the details of what happened, including the Canon Authorized Dealer you used as well as the repair number. Once we have that information, we'll make sure the appropriate channels are notified. 

Thank you for being part of #TeamCanon!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements