cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you take photographs or make them?

stevet1
Authority
Authority

On a personal level, do you take photographs, or make them?

More and more, I want to strive for the latter.

Steve Thomas

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

'Making' as opposed to 'taking', suggest a predetermination of the result and some control over the situation. 

To me, photography is a subtractive art as opposed to painting, where one starts off with a blank canvas and places the elements to taste.  With a photograph, one begins with an existing scene over which one may or may not have control (e.g. studio vs wild), but to concentrate the viewer on the intention, one must eliminate or degrade distracting elements.  The more control one has over the environment, the more one can make an image, I think...

Working with wild animals mostly, in their environment, I often have limited control but I would say I do a bit of both: taking and creating: i.e. either/or, and sometimes a combination - I see an opportunity and strive to improve what is offered by some controlling element of my own - be it exposure, zooming, shutter speed or relocating myself relative to the subject.  Often that means getting the animal to engage with the camera - striving to capture some essence of the animal that makes a viewer pause and consider it a bit more deeply.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Trevor,

In addition, I would say that making a photograph forces you to slow down, and think about what you are doing and why.

Steve Thomas

I agree, Steve.  It is for that reason that I have the Nikon Df as my favourite camera - it is made in such as way as to echo the camera bodies I used back in 1980 when I started photography.   The control dials encourage one to linger and savour the process of taking an image, when the activity itself is to be celebrated and not rushed - it makes each photograph an occasion.
With wildlife that is often not possible, but I do take images in other genres: still life, portraiture, scenic where the subjects are far more amenable to that process, and it is a very enjoyable, refreshing and satisfying endeavour.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Trevor,

That's why I enjoy long exposure photography.

I haven't been at it long, and I'm not very good, but I enjoy it.

Steve

There is are a couple of excellent proponents of the genre:

Michael Levin, whose work you may find interesting: MICHAEL LEVIN : B&W and ,,,

Michael Kenna:  Michael Kenna
(19) A Conversation with Michael Kenna - YouTube 
6 Minimal Landscape Photography Tips I Learned from Michael Kenna (youtube.com)

I hope you find their work interesting and inspiring - I wish you well with your journey!

cheers, TREVOR

LydiaMay
Apprentice

It is very informative, thank you so much for sharing.

Announcements