cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do You Keep a Camera or Lens for the Feel of It?

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

There have been a couple of cameras that have long since been bypassed by technology.  The first of these was the EOS 60D, of which I had 3 examples and I just loved the feel of the body, layout of the controls and the balance in my hands.  I kept them longer than I probably should have, but instead retained the 80D, for the same reasons, even after selling the 90D, which I never quite warmed to - the rear control wheel was smaller and harder to turn, and TBH I just felt like 32MP was too much for the sensor size.   I still have the 80D, and use it primarily with the EF-S 18-135 IS USM, another piece of kit that I like for the feel - and it's a good optic.   

The other body that seems to have hung around in my kit is the 5DsR, which I like for its sensor capacity, cancelled AA filter and just the sound of the shutter is awesome.  Along with that the brilliant EF 70-300L lens - in part because of the time when I was using it, but also the balance and it IS a great optic.  I use it on my MILCs via the EF-RF adapter and it does a sterling job.

So, technical specs aside, do you have gear that somehow hangs around because you just LIKE the nature of it? 

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
21 REPLIES 21

normadel
Authority
Authority

You are saying "bypassed by technology" as if a 60D or 5DsR don't work anymore. Shame on you!

My cameras are Rebel T1i, 50D, 60D, 7D and 6D. The T1i and 50D were acquired from people who thought they were obsolete. The 7D and 6D were purchased from a dealer in the last year. Only the 60D was bought new. 

They all function perfectly and take beautiful, if not amazing, photos. Bypassed by technology? Who cares? Not me. I have no need for "new technology" for its own sake.  And I have no desire to "upgrade" to mirrorless, either.

I waited to purchase my 5Ds until after it was discontinued and the mirrorless push was at full-speed.  It's still a fantastic camera and I was able to purchase it, brand new in-box, at a dramatic discount (and I DO mean dramatic!) from a Canon retailer who was clearing out discontinued inventory.  I don't consider the technology to be "bypassed" but, then again, I don't really need to be at the leading edge of technology (or fashion!).

zakslm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Presently, I shoot a technically obsolete Rebel T7 (bought new) with a collection of lenses that are either EF or EF-S lenses - most of which were bought used or refurbished at very attractive prices.   I don't think any of the items I own are currently in production and some have been out of production for quite a while.  

The last time I owned an EOS camera was almost 20 years ago when I shot film.  I took a long hiatus for a number of reason before I thought I'd casually get the Rebel with kit lens 1.5 years ago and learn about digital photography.

I really like the way the Rebel feels in my hands.  Most of the basic controls are intuitive or similar to my EOS film camera and I'm still learning about the camera's controls, features and functions as well as some advanced "tricks" that I learn about from reading this and other forums.  I'm amazed that the T7 has a 24mp sensor, is solid/well built, feature rich and advanced for an entry level camera.  The built in flash comes in handier than I would thought it would.  It makes my head hurt to think of the many features and functions in even simpler current mirrorless cameras.  There are features that I wish my camera had, but I'll put them on the list and and check them off if I ever upgrade.

My favorite lens is the EF 85mm f1.8 USM.  I had one in my film days and it was favorite lens back then as well.  When I mount that lens on the T7, it feels great in my hands, is tack sharp, focuses precisely, quickly and quietly and the combination produces very nice results.  In fact, I'm pleased with the results I've achieved with each of the lenses I own when I mount them on the T7.  When I see a good shot by someone else on this or another forum I challenge myself to try and emulate it within the limitations of my equipment (no super-tele or tele-zoom yet, but I did get a macro.)  

At present, I see myself using the T7 for quite a while until either me or the camera quit!

johnrmoyer
Whiz
Whiz

Yes. And nostalgia. My Minolta lens is nearly 50 years old.

I still use my EOS 80D occasionally and use EF-S 18-135 IS USM on both EOS 80D annd EOS R5. I still have my EOS Rebel T1i (EOS 500D) and occasionally get it out and charge the battery. Not so long ago I connected it by USB to my computer in an attempt to answer a file transfer question.

Minolta Lens made in Japan MC ROKKOR-X PG 1:1.4 f=50mm, with Urth adapter for use on Canon, depth composite made on July 6, 2023Minolta Lens made in Japan MC ROKKOR-X PG 1:1.4 f=50mm, with Urth adapter for use on Canon, depth composite made on July 6, 2023

Limestone Hall, Lexington, KY, July 8, 2021 ; Minolta MC ROKKOR-X PG 1:1.4 f=50mm ; F/8 ; 1/800 EOS R5Limestone Hall, Lexington, KY, July 8, 2021 ; Minolta MC ROKKOR-X PG 1:1.4 f=50mm ; F/8 ; 1/800 EOS R5

Far-Out-Dude
Rising Star
Rising Star

I have a very old 1960's Kodak Ratina C that I have because I like the style of it.

Afzal_BG_BR_UK
Enthusiast

Agreed.

There are times when you use a piece of equipment and immediately become akin to. Typically, with cameras and lenses there are associations and emotions made (the research, the saving up of money, the sheer gear lust). Once purchased/acquired, an affinity and deep bond develops during which time every aspect is enjoyed and relished. Good or bad, I too stick with my x2 beloved 40D bodies both gripped. Also, I hang onto my EF-S 10-22mm lens. I recently did a wandering shoot with my 7d11(gripped) and EF-S 10-22mm exclusively (with a circular polariser attached). Awesome colour rendition of waterfall captures. I will never sell-on my preferred older gear. Just love the tactile feel of all my kit --> ef 100mm f/2.8 USM macro; ef 24mm f/1.8; 50mm f/1.8, ef-s 10-22mm. As for my ef-s 18-55 & ef-s 50-250mm, well in today's market, i have to pay to give them away. I am not too fond of these lenses tbh.

Cameras:- 7Dii & (x2 40D)
EF:- 100mm f/2.8 macro, 50mm f/1.8, 24mm f/2.8
EF-s:- 55-250mm, 10-22mm, 18-55mm
Flashes:- x4 580exii, MT-24ex, Godox AD300Pro
Triggers:- x5 PW TT5s & x2 PW TT1s & x3 Godox X-Pro

normadel
Authority
Authority

Oh yeah, I neglected to mention my film cameras . . . .A-1, two AE-1 Programs, EF, F-1, two EOS Elan IIes. Film was "obsoleted", umm, let's see, when the first digital cameras happened. They became my "collection". Look what happened there. I even belong to a film photography club. 

Careful what you call "out-of-date" and "obsolete"!!

You are really sounding quite defensive and seem to have a chip on your shoulder here, and you need to get over that  For a start, I didn't use either words "out-of-date" or "obsolete", those are your inventions, so please don't put word into my mouth and then criticize me for them.  If others have and upset you that is not my responsibility. This is disingenuous and does neither of us justice.  You have completely turned around a thread dedicated to celebrating keeping older gear into something quite negative.  That is quite regrettable.

The fact is that technology has changed and the mainstream market has moved on to a new platform - you don't have to use them and that is absolutely your choice.  Photography manufacturers will continue to sell product as long as there is a viable market, then they stop.  That's the way of the world.

I'm glad you too have retained your film cameras: FWIW, I still have a Nikon F3 and Canon A-1 and film for them.  I welcome that  several brands of film are now returning and the SLR market is showing resurgence and film as a medium has it's own special characteristics. This is a good thing!  I gather at least one camera maker is considering a new film camera and  I am absolutely happy about that too. 

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Trevor:  I think I got a little off-the-track of your original post when I replied to normadel's first reply.  Personally, I love all of my cameras/lenses and darkroom equipment.  I can't imagine getting rid of any of the old stuff just because of newer technology developments.  They all feel great in my hands and they all still function as originally intended.  With me, I think it may be more nostalgia than anything else.  I can relate memories of each camera with certain photos that I really like from days gone by.  This has been a very interesting thought experiment!

click here to view the gallery
Announcements