cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do You Keep a Camera or Lens for the Feel of It?

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

There have been a couple of cameras that have long since been bypassed by technology.  The first of these was the EOS 60D, of which I had 3 examples and I just loved the feel of the body, layout of the controls and the balance in my hands.  I kept them longer than I probably should have, but instead retained the 80D, for the same reasons, even after selling the 90D, which I never quite warmed to - the rear control wheel was smaller and harder to turn, and TBH I just felt like 32MP was too much for the sensor size.   I still have the 80D, and use it primarily with the EF-S 18-135 IS USM, another piece of kit that I like for the feel - and it's a good optic.   

The other body that seems to have hung around in my kit is the 5DsR, which I like for its sensor capacity, cancelled AA filter and just the sound of the shutter is awesome.  Along with that the brilliant EF 70-300L lens - in part because of the time when I was using it, but also the balance and it IS a great optic.  I use it on my MILCs via the EF-RF adapter and it does a sterling job.

So, technical specs aside, do you have gear that somehow hangs around because you just LIKE the nature of it? 

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
21 REPLIES 21

MarkTwo
Contributor

A friend in Japan told me how cameras are just a part of life there, a part of people.  
"The other day a couple walked past me, well into their 80's,  bóth with dslrs around their neck - I think thats so cute!"

Myself  I've been looking for a more diminutive walkabout and have my eyes on a compact 9 year old m4/3 and thought perhaps it would be more cost effective at the source but he shared some sales pages from there..
"It's crazy here. People buy cameras in númbers no matter how old. And film!!  And not to just to look cool ( or not only anyway ) but actually going through rolls of film in numbers I can't remember was normal when film was still the norm."

'vintage' Digital is an odd duck. Most people here eye the megapixel count of such and scroll past. But some put value on UI, or the little known qualities of the glass available for it. 
  That little compact I got my son was released in 2010.  'Just' 10 megapixel. 
But its zooms lens is F1.8-2.5, capable of super tight macro,  the AF does a good job with tracking even and he can set the control ring around the lens manually control focus or aperture or shutterspeed and  he learns..
The hotshoe is even capable of mounting an EVF which I think is probably the thing for it for his next birthday ^^

Canon EOS m6 mk2, ef-m 32mm f1.4, ef-m 28mm f3.5, ef-m 22mm f2, ef-s 35mm f2.8 - looking for a ef-m 11-22mm f4

Japan appears to be a rather unique market.  For a long time, they were still buying M-series bodies and lenses at a rate far exceeding those of North America and Europe.  I actually still have two M-5 bodies and three lenses which I still use when I want to be inconspicuous.  Those bodies were the best of the M-series for still photography, whereas the M-50 series was more for hybrid shooters or vloggers.   Those were basically the equivalent of the 80D, which I also retain.
The thing about 'vintage' digital is interesting - without doubt the feeling is much more one of technology than the film medium.  There is a fixation on MP count, which I find erroneous more MP crammed into the same size sensor simply has the unfortunate effect of making them more inclined to noise.  When I got my D30, it was actually as a prop for my course on the history of photography. This camera was historic as the first camera with an APS-C sensor and with a CMOS sensor, rather than the previous CCD units.   It reduced the cost by a factor 10 from a previous $30k to $3k, thus making digital more affordable for professionals and serious amateurs.
The sensor was pivotal, as it had significantly lower power drain and was far less prone to dust on the sensor. 
I found one in Japan, unused, for about $50 because it had been scratched on unpacking and then stuck in a back room until the store was relocating.  I got that, and a non-functional but immaculate unit and had Canon combine the two, check the new unit and give it a clean.  They confirmed it had not been used.   I have shot with it several times and with only 3MP, the photosites are huge, and even though its max ISO is 400, it has almost no noise, even in low light.  Many a good tune played on an old fiddle...

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
click here to view the gallery
Announcements