cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creative Auto

catz
Contributor

When I take a photo in Creaive Auto (RAW) and then review the settings, copy the settings in Manual and take exact same photo, it does not look the same.        

In fact, it looks better in Creative Auto!   However, I want to shoot in Manual!   

What am I missing?   Are there other settings I can change in Manual Mode to make it look like the Creative Auto exposure?    What does Canon add to the exposure?      

THis happens with BOTH of my cameras with every lens - T5i and 6D

10 REPLIES 10

smack53
Mentor

It sure amazes me how many people want you to shoot the way they do. The best way to really learn what each setting does is to use the camera in manual mode, and get a feel for the results. You will begin to set your own individual style by getting the photos the way you want in camera, and not rely too heavily on post processing.

On the other hand, if you are shooting in a fast paced situation, the other options are always there to help you get the shot without having to spend a lot of time guessing at settings. As an enthusiast, I love shooting in manual mode for about 90% of my shots. But there are times when I resort to using Tv or Av modes, such as birds in flight, or portrait photography. But most of what I do is macro and landscaping, and I get a lot of enjoyment knowing what settings to use to get the look I want. Heck, I still drive a car with a manual transmission because I have more fun and greater control over the car. Same with my cameras. Especially with my high end point and shoot G12. I get the best results when I shoot in full Manual mode.

The point is to learn your gear, what it's strengths and weaknesses are, and what works best for you, all while having fun doing it. You'll get so much more out of your camera with experience and knowledge, so enjoy the process! And remember it's the end result that counts most, not the particulars of how you got there!

Steve M.

Announcements