cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Microfilm Scanner MS350 & Windows 7

moneybags
Apprentice

Hello,

First of all, I hope I have not put a post in the wrong forum area (this is my post on here) as I could not see a Microfilm Scanner area on the forum.

At our offices we have a Canon Microfilm Scanner MS350 with a SCSI connection and it works beautifully on Windows XP.  We are moving to Windows 7 and have successfully managed to get SCSI drivers sorted BUT when we run the installation CD Windows 7 does not want to know (this is what we expected, but you have to hope).

The original CD states that it contains: -

ISIS & Twain Driver for Microfilm Scanner 300/350 v.1.1

Capture Perfect 1.0 Ver 1.053

Is anyone aware of any Windows 7 software for this device as our reseller tells us that it is not possible to get our device to work on Windows 7 and they want us to buy a replacement for about £5,000 which is more than we paid for the MS 350.

Thank you for any replies, even if they contain bad news.

17 REPLIES 17

agill
Apprentice

Were you able to get a resolution for this?

Hello,

the following windows 7-drivers are available for Canon MS 350 II:

CapturePerfect v1.063 Patch for MS300II_350II (v1.063)

ISIS & TWAIN Drivers V1.3 for MS300II_350II (Version 1.3)

Perhaps they are also suitable for Canon MS 350.

It also matters which SCSI board you use and if you use Win-7 32  or 64 bit.

Recommended SCSI boards for Canon MS 350 are:

1   Adaptec AHA-2930U
2   Adaptec AHA-2940AU
3   Adaptec ASC-19160
4   Adaptec ASC-29160

Only for SCSI boards no. 3 and 4 drivers for win7-64 bit are available.

Does anyone know if  you need SCSI adapters for these boards and

which adapters are suitable?

Thank you for any replies.

rauwitt
Contributor

Hello,

Canon MS 350 works under Windows 7.

The instruction:

-  PC with Windows 7 32 bit

-  SCSI controller Adaptec-AHA-2940 UW

-  Windows 7 driver for Adaptec-AHA-2940 UW

-  Install ISIS & TWAIN Drivers V1.3 for MS300II_350II (Version 1.3)

-  Install CapturePerfect v1.063 Patch for MS300II_350II (v1.063)

-  Copy "pafcv2.dll" from Windows XP "CapturePerfect 1.0" folder in  new "CapturePerfect 1.0" folder

That's all.

Thanks for the workaround rauwitt.

Has anyone confirmed whether this will work for the original MS300? I see that the XP driver releases (v1.1 and v1.2) support MS300, MS300II, MS350, and MS350II - but v1.3 only shows the "II" models. Though I suppose if it will work for the MS350, it shouldn't be a problem?

We'll give it a try and see what happens...

Update: I have installed every version of the driver pack (1.1/1.2/1.3) and none of them create a file named pafcv2.dll. Can anyone clarify this?

Update 2: Found the file, it's in the ScanPerfect installation. The older version on the site (1.060) contains the same version of this file as the 1.063 patch, however. Very unclear one what I'm supposed to be doing here, as the instructions in the post above do not seem to be correct.

Thanks for your reply.

I corrected the instruction concerning the origin of the "pafcv2.dll".

It is indeed from the Windows XP "CapturePerfect 1.0" folder.

By the way Canon MS 350 Microfilm Scanner is working for 2 month

without any problems.

OK, I think I get it now. The Vista version of CapturePerfect (v1.063) is labelled as a patch and does not contain the needed .dll file, but the application otherwise appears to function without installing the XP version (v1.060). However, both versions install to the same folder by default, so when I installed them consecutively on my computer the .dll file was already there and remained unchanged after v1.063 was installed. That's why I was confused - the instructions seem to instruct you to copy over an identical file.

So to sum it up: If you install the Vista software over the XP software it should "just work"... Whereas if the XP version was never installed, the needed library file won't exist.

This is still just a guess, as I haven't been out to the site where the scanner is installed yet - I just wanted to figure out what I was doing before I make the trip. And now I might not have to! Thanks rauwitt. Robot Happy

You can leave out the installation of the XP version (v1.060), but save the file "pafcv2.dll" from it.

Just install the Win 7 version (v1.063) and add the saved dll-file.

Hi again. I walked someone through the setup tonight and we succeeded in getting their MS300 scanner working. It didn't go exactly as expected though.

At first, the scanner was visible in Device Manager, but it had a (?) beside its entry. The Properties window stated that it was working properly, and on the Driver tab it showed "No device driver is installed or required for this device". At this point, ScanPerfect 1.063 listed the scanner twice in the devices dialog, but neither of the entries worked and attempting to scan simply gave an error stating the device could not be found.

At some point we re-checked Device Manager's Driver tab, and the message had changed to say that no driver was installed. We had to go through the manual selection (Let me choose... Have Disk...) method, and pointed to the MS300II/MS350II ISIS/TWAIN v1.3 INF folder. Windows recognized the MS300II driver as being compatible, and once it was installed everything worked as expected.

So in conclusion, I'm not sure why the 'II' drivers are not labelled as being compatible by Canon. Being that the new drivers are being used I'm not even sure that pafcv2.dll is necessary, but I didn't bother testing that out as it's not hurting anything by being there.

Thanks again for the information, and good luck to anyone else trying to keep their hardware going.

Canon Microfilm Scanner 300II will not communicate with my computer which uses Windows 7 as an operating system. It is the same physical computer and we did have our seller come in and install for us after we moved from XP and remote session didn't quite work. We had a computer crash and had to reinstall the software. Now it won't recognize the SCSI connection. i uninstalled the old software(capture perfect 1.0) and reinstalled the new (capture perfect 3.0) Do i actually need a physical scsi controller installed into the computer tower?

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements