cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera straps

EastLelandDavid
Contributor

There are several straps on the market that anchor to the camera at the tripod mount bracket.  I have heard pros and cons concerning these mounts.  Are they safe to use or can the camera be harmed?  A collar mount for a lens elimiates This problem but many lenses do not employ such collars.  Has Canon issued an oppinion concerning this issue?

3 REPLIES 3

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You're probably referring to the "sling" straps that support the camera on you shoulder and allow it rest at your side (waist level) when not in use rather than hanging from your neck.

The two very popular brands are the Black Rapid straps and the Carry Speed straps.  I own a few Black Rapid straps.  A friend of mine owns the Carry Speed strap -- although I confess I think I might like his Carry Speed strap just a tiny bit better than my Black Rapid strap.

Are they "safe"?   I think they're actually safer than the neck-straps (which also are not supporting your lens.)  These straps attach to the tripod bolt hole either on the base of the camera body OR on the tripod-collar attached to the lens (only large heavy lenses tend to have these tripod-collars).  

I find the system to be vastly more comfortable -- especially for heavy gear.  For example... I've got a gripped 5D III and I can wear that camera with a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens (a fairly heavy lens) all day and not feel the sort of fatigue I'd feel when that was on a traditional neck-strap even for a short amount of time.  It also holds the camera out of my way when I'm not actively shooting with it.

You attach the strap to whatever the heaviest component is.  If you've got a large heavy lens that weighs more than your camera, then you attach the sling-strap bolt to the lens collar.  If your lens isn't particularly heavy, then you attach it to the tripod bolt socket on the base of the camera (or battery grip).

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you Tim.  Black Rapid is the strap I currently own.  I have heard and read all kinds of "warnings" concerning attatching the sling to the camera tripod socket.  There appear to be countless opinions as to whether or not this is detrimental or even dangerous for the camera.  I asked one of the Canon sales reps (telephone) about this an he said there is no problem as far as Canon was concerned.  I was wondering how people here felt about the situation.  Thanx again for your help.

ScottyP
Authority
I use the Cinch strap from LumaLabs. It is a shoulder strap like the others but with two improvements. 1.) it attaches to two points instead of one point so it lays flat against you so it cannot twirl. 2.). You can cinch it shorter for carrying and cinch it out longer for shooting.

I like it.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements