cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D Mark II coming in July?

John_SD
Whiz

I've been reading various "reports" (rumors) about an updated 6D II coming soon. Hope it's true, as I would love to take my first steps into full frame, but can't justify the cost of a 5D.

https://petapixel.com/2017/05/09/mark-calendars-canon-6d-mark-ii-arrive-july-report/

8 REPLIES 8

diverhank
Authority

The 6DII does sound like a great camera.  I have a 5D Mark III right now and don't feel like upgrading to the Mark IV.  I may seriously consider the 6DII because I use a crop sensor camera (7DII) for sports and birds shooting and don't need a fancy focusing system like the Mark IV.

Of course, the specification is just rumored...not sure how much of it remains true when it is actually released.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

The 6DII does sound like a great camera.  I have a 5D Mark III right now and don't feel like upgrading to the Mark IV.  I may seriously consider the 6DII because I use a crop sensor camera (7DII) for sports and birds shooting and don't need a fancy focusing system like the Mark IV.

Of course, the specification is just rumored...not sure how much of it remains true when it is actually released.

If you need another FF camera and don't want to spring for a 5D4, why would you not just get another 5D3? The price looks right at the moment, and you'd get a much more sophisticated camera than the 6D2 is likely to be.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@diverhank wrote:

If you need another FF camera and don't want to spring for a 5D4, why would you not just get another 5D3? The price looks right at the moment, and you'd get a much more sophisticated camera than the 6D2 is likely to be.

I think the 6DII will be more capable than the 5DIII for roughly the same price.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

Some of those rumored specs look good: "a 24 or 25MP sensor, Dual Pixel AF, a tilting touchscreen, a new AF system (possibly 19-point), NFC/WiFi/GPS, and, the disappointing piece, video capture that tops out at 1080/60p."

I've read other rumors that suggest 40+ AF points. I'll settle for 19 if that's indeed what it comes with. I couldn't care less about video. 

Price should be around $2K. 

BTW, great shots of those BIFs, and flora and fauna on the Flickr site, Diverhank. Fantastic stuff.

All I care about is improved AF. The rumors are 45 AF points. 

I also sure hope they stick with illuminated red AF points not the black ones on 5d4. I was very close to buying one until I tried it out at B&H and realized that even in the camera store the black AF points got lost against dark backgrounds.  6d1 has red points. 1dx2 has red points. No idea why they did that to 5d3 and 5d4.  

Give me about 45 red lighted AF points and Canon can gladly have some more of my money. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I would not expect to see a 6D Mark II until current inventories of 5D Mark III bodies is nearly expired.  I would also expect a 6D Mark II to be have similar bells and whistles as a 5D Mark III. all except for the body build and weather sealing.  

Personally, I do not think that a tilt and twist display makes for a robust camera body.  I do not think that it would be a good feature to add.  If you want a twisty display, then buy an ##D camera body, or a Rebel.  I think it is something that can only break.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

I would not expect to see a 6D Mark II until current inventories of 5D Mark III bodies is nearly expired.  I would also expect a 6D Mark II to be have similar bells and whistles as a 5D Mark III. all except for the body build and weather sealing.  

Personally, I do not think that a tilt and twist display makes for a robust camera body.  I do not think that it would be a good feature to add.  If you want a twisty display, then buy an ##D camera body, or a Rebel.  I think it is something that can only break.

An argument could be made that the twisty display is actually more robust, since it can be folded away pointing inwards, thereby protecting the screen surface from scratches or breakage.

If I wanted to argue against a twisty display, I'd point out that it adds to the clutter of a back panel that's already crowded with wheels and buttons.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

An argument could be made that the twisty display is actually more robust, since it can be folded away pointing inwards, thereby protecting the screen surface from scratches or breakage.

If I wanted to argue against a twisty display, I'd point out that it adds to the clutter of a back panel that's already crowded with wheels and buttons.

What I am saying is that I don't see how a camera body can be well sealed against dust and moisture with a twisty display.  Sure, tucking the display against the camera body is a nice convenience, but that's all it is to me.  I would rather risk bumps and scratches than having a potential entry point for foreign particles of dust or moisture. 

Besides, after having lost a couple of those rubber things on the eyepiece of the vewfinder, I keep my camera bodies inside of plastic bags when I am not using it.  I lost one of them, and found the other one hiding at the bottom of my camera bag.  I seem to loosen it up removing the camera from the bag, or replacing it.  Now, the rubber thing falls off into the plastic bag with the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements