cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft OneDrive and Canon 70D RAW Files display issue

Geolem
Apprentice

Hello Guys,

I have a Canon 450D and I was really surprised that my RAW files (*.CR2) were displayed on Microsoft OneDrive without making a JPG files.

That's really cool !

Few weeks ago I receive my new Canon 70D.
I have upload my RAW files (*.CR2 also) on OneDrive and the file is not displayed.

To make it easy, you will find both files here :

http://1drv.ms/1qvndZW

I all ready ask support on their forum : Here

But they ask me to ask you...

By any chance, has Canon changed their .CR2 files format that would explain Microsoft has to update their "Convertor" ?

Thanks in advance for your time !

If you want a OneDrive Space, you can use my referral link or Bing OneDrive 😉

Geolem
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Camera RAW is more of a "concept" than a specific standard.   The idea behind a RAW file is that the data unloaded from the chip will not be altered in any way which results in a loss of original data.  

JPEG images use a "lossy" compression algorithm which will normalize data when differences are so subtle that your eye probably would not have noticed the difference.  But when images are adjusted, subtle differences may be "stretched" and the loss of the original data can be detrimental to ability to adjust the image later and still get good results.

BUT... since every camera can have a difference sensor, different resolutions, etc. the method needed to decode a RAW file and display the image can be different literally on a model-by-model basis.  When you work with RAW files, you always need the codec specific to that very camera model.... not just "any" .CR2 codec will work.  This is the same with all other brands of cameras as well.

Microsoft does not include camera RAW updates in the default OS updates that you may be applying to your computer on a regular basis (Apple does... every couple of months I get a camera RAW update and if I read the notes, it'll have a list of new camera models on the market for which they've added RAW support.)    But Microsoft DOES make the RAW updates available... they're just not automatic.  You have to go download and install them.

See this link at the Microsoft support website:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2899189

If you look down the page on that specific link, you'll notice a whole list of cameras for which they've added RAW support and the Canon 70D is among them.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You might need to download the latest Microsoft Codec.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26829

For W8

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34871

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

he link you give me doesn't work with Windows 8.1.1.

By the way, I don't understand why the problem is located on my computer if the files are correctly displayed on WIndows Explorer.

For me, the problem is in their Images convertor or something like that into their system.

The problem has been reproduced on multiple computers... 😕
Geolem

@Geolem wrote:
he link you give me doesn't work with Windows 8.1.1.

By the way, I don't understand why the problem is located on my computer if the files are correctly displayed on WIndows Explorer.

For me, the problem is in their Images convertor or something like that into their system.

The problem has been reproduced on multiple computers... 😕

To answer your previous question: Yes, the .CR2 format changes over time as new cameras are added to Canon's product line. To compensate, they issue new versions of their photo editors and the Canon RAW Codec from time to time. Whether the problem is on your computers or the Microsoft site is hard to say without some digging. But you should at least ensure that the latest Canon RAW Codec in installed on all the computers you use to access your One Drive.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Camera RAW is more of a "concept" than a specific standard.   The idea behind a RAW file is that the data unloaded from the chip will not be altered in any way which results in a loss of original data.  

JPEG images use a "lossy" compression algorithm which will normalize data when differences are so subtle that your eye probably would not have noticed the difference.  But when images are adjusted, subtle differences may be "stretched" and the loss of the original data can be detrimental to ability to adjust the image later and still get good results.

BUT... since every camera can have a difference sensor, different resolutions, etc. the method needed to decode a RAW file and display the image can be different literally on a model-by-model basis.  When you work with RAW files, you always need the codec specific to that very camera model.... not just "any" .CR2 codec will work.  This is the same with all other brands of cameras as well.

Microsoft does not include camera RAW updates in the default OS updates that you may be applying to your computer on a regular basis (Apple does... every couple of months I get a camera RAW update and if I read the notes, it'll have a list of new camera models on the market for which they've added RAW support.)    But Microsoft DOES make the RAW updates available... they're just not automatic.  You have to go download and install them.

See this link at the Microsoft support website:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2899189

If you look down the page on that specific link, you'll notice a whole list of cameras for which they've added RAW support and the Canon 70D is among them.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I asked them to update their servers 😉

I hope that their Dev Team received the message (not sure).

Thanks anyway.

Geolem
Announcements