cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recording a band

Harroldian
Apprentice

I assume the Canon 70 will only record in mono when making a video, or can I record stereo? If the latter, what microphone would work. Thanks,

Robert

4 REPLIES 4

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The built-in microphone in a camera is a simple condensor mic.  The audio quality isn't that great.

The input jack on the side of the camera is a stereo mic input jack but you'll need an external stero mic.

The "Rode VideoMic" is extremely popular.  It has a foot to mount in the cameras hot-shoe (it does not interface via the hot-shoe... it simply uses the fact that your camera has a hot shoe as a mounting point... you still connect a short cord to the audio input jack on the side of the camera.)  

Rode makes a number of versions of this and three of the versions are 'stereo' (the rest are mono).  The sound quality is significantly better than what you could get from the camera's built-in condensor mic.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

The built-in microphone in a camera is a simple condensor mic.  The audio quality isn't that great.

The input jack on the side of the camera is a stereo mic input jack but you'll need an external stero mic.

The "Rode VideoMic" is extremely popular.  It has a foot to mount in the cameras hot-shoe (it does not interface via the hot-shoe... it simply uses the fact that your camera has a hot shoe as a mounting point... you still connect a short cord to the audio input jack on the side of the camera.)  

Rode makes a number of versions of this and three of the versions are 'stereo' (the rest are mono).  The sound quality is significantly better than what you could get from the camera's built-in condensor mic.

I once photographed an indoor event that attracted a fair number of media photographers. Most (all?) of those who were shooting video (except those from the TV channels, who had full-scale video cameras) appeared to have Rode microphones on their DSLRs. Just sayin'; I'm a still photographer and know little or nothing of video.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Many thanks,

Robert

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Rode mono microphones are the brand that are included in select Canon DSLR "Video Creator" kits.  You may wish to select a stereo microphone AND a stereo cable.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements