cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"card error"

Marilyn1
Apprentice

I have a Canon EOS 70D and I'm getting a "card error" message when trying to use my camera.  I've tried a couple cards and cleaning the contact points on my lens and battery, which was suggested in my hunt for answers.  Can someone suggest something for me?  Where I can find the answer?  What may be happening to my camera?  I need a starting point, please.

4 REPLIES 4

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I've tried a couple cards and cleaning the contact points on my lens and battery, ..."

First off this never to almost never works.  So it is meaningless either way. First buy a brand new SD card of high quality.  Lexar or Sandisk for instance.  Get it from a known good retailer.  B&H, Adorama, Best Buy, etc not a Amazon or ebay source.

If you did already get one, put it into your computer to see if it is good.  Does the computer read it?  If, yes, put it into the 70D and try to format it.

Are you getting any error codes like 04 or 10?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you for your suggestions.  I bought my cards (Sandisk) at Costco.  They've been working fine up until now.  I don't get an error code.  My computer does read the cards.

I haven't put it into the camera to try to format it.  I didn't know I could do that.

Again, I appreciate your efforts to try to help me.

@Marilyn1 wrote:

Thank you for your suggestions.  I bought my cards (Sandisk) at Costco.  They've been working fine up until now.  I don't get an error code.  My computer does read the cards.

I haven't put it into the camera to try to format it.  I didn't know I could do that.

Again, I appreciate your efforts to try to help me.

If you didn't know that you can low level format memory cards in the camera, then you read the manual too quickly.  You should ALWAYS perform a low level format on a new card.  While new cards may appear to be formatted, that formatting is residue from production testing, and needs to be completely wiped.

Be sure to use FULL-SIZE memory cards, too.  The microSD cards require an adapter, which have a notorious reputation for failure.  Only use microSD cards in devices that use them directly, without an adapter.

If you're getting a. "Card Error" message, then there is.no need to clean lens, camera, or battery contacts.  That was bad advice.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you, Waddizzle, for your help.  I looked through my manual - pages 27-29, but didn't see anything about formatting the cards.  It looks as if I have a lot more reading to do.  However, I think I've found my problem - there is a tiny little switch on the right side of the card.  I must have moved it without knowing I did.  I moved it bakc to the up position and now the card/camera is working.  I learn something new everyday.

I appreciare your suggestions.  I might not have noticed my mistake, otherwise.

Announcements