cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R. Image Stabilization

digital
Rising Star

This woud apply to the RP as well. Why does the IS continue to operate after releasing the shutter? According to the lens manuals I have read it is supossed to shut off after 2 seconds.

A few tests with my RF lens. Afer taking a picture the IS continues to run. Even if I press image review or a menu button it conitunes to run. The only time it shuts off is when it times out due the Auto Off setting or I shut the camera off. ECO mode does not even shut it down. The IS is very quiet on my RF24-105 so I used machanics Stethoscope. It even continues to run if I shut the switch off on the lens itself. The image is shaky so it does not stabilizie but the motor continues to run. That is how mode 3 on the lenses (that have them) work but I doubt this what is going on here.

I thought since the R is basically a Live View camera. I never used LV so I tried my 7D2 and my 100-400 II. It shut off after 2 seconds.                                        

The odd thing is when I put my 100-400 II with the basic adapter on the R some behaviours were different. Pressing the image review or a menu button did shut the IS off. So did turning the lens IS swicth off.

I'm on several forums and there are a lot of complaints of battery and IS assembly wear. Is Canon looking into this or is there a reason why the IS continues to run?                                      

10 REPLIES 10

Peter
Authority
Authority
Same with EOS M5. I assume all M cameras have the same "feature".

Maybe they do but why? Why do my EF lenses on DSLR in LV shut off after 2 seconds after releasing shutter button. This is what the RF lens manual says for 24-105 which is designed to run on an MLIC body yet it does not.

What is the purpose of the IS running for mintues atter the shot? it is not in movie mode. Which lenses for the M or does the M have interchangable lenses? I've never owned one. If so what does the lens manual say about IS? If attached what does the camera manual say?   

I viewed both M and EF-M IS manauls at Canon USA site. Neither says anyting about 2 second shut off. It does warn about about battery usage and that it kicks in automatically for movie mode.             

@digital wrote:

Maybe they do but why? Why do my EF lenses on DSLR in LV shut off after 2 seconds after releasing shutter button. This is what the RF lens manual says for 24-105 which is designed to run on an MLIC body yet it does not.

What is the purpose of the IS running for mintues atter the shot?

it is not in movie mode. Which lenses for the M or does the M have interchangable lenses? I've never owned one. If so what does the lens manual say about IS? If attached what does the camera manual say?   

I dunno.  But, wildlife and sport photographers seem to like it.  Apparently, it helps you to look through a super telephoto lens when metering is idle.  If you do not like it, you can always simply disable it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It does completely disable when using an EF lens. If you turn the switch off on a RF lens it stops stabliizing but I can still hear it running. With minimal settings in the Display off and Auto power off unless you shut the camera off it wil run for 45 seconds before it shtus off. Canon has IS/battery warnings so not sure why it needs to run that long when usng it as a walkarond. Only twpo ways to shut it down completely is to shut the camera off or wait for it to Auto Power off. Not even manual image review will shut it off.         

I don't have super telephoto but often shoot with a 400 DO II and 2X. I have not really noticed a diference but I guess I still press the BBF. I don't often use a tripod. Even then the motor would run if I shut if off.  

I'm just wondering or perhaps with discussion Canon may consider an option to make it run full time and work like a DLSR. Peope on other forums are wondering why Cnaon did this. It does shut off 2 seconds afer releasing the shutter even in LV on my 7D2 and did on my 5D4.                                               

@digital wrote:

It does completely disable when using an EF lens. If you turn the switch off on a RF lens it stops stabliizing but I can still hear it running. With minimal settings in the Display off and Auto power off unless you shut the camera off it wil run for 45 seconds before it shtus off. Canon has IS/battery warnings so not sure why it needs to run that long when usng it as a walkarond. Only twpo ways to shut it down completely is to shut the camera off or wait for it to Auto Power off. Not even manual image review will shut it off.         

I don't have super telephoto but often shoot with a 400 DO II and 2X. I have not really noticed a diference but I guess I still press the BBF. I don't often use a tripod. Even then the motor would run if I shut if off.  

I'm just wondering or perhaps with discussion Canon may consider an option to make it run full time and work like a DLSR. Peope on other forums are wondering why Cnaon did this. It does shut off 2 seconds afer releasing the shutter even in LV on my 7D2 and did on my 5D4.                                               

This is the setting that you probably need to disable [Continuous AF]

50EA5CBB-902D-4257-BED6-BCDF4A2D5164.jpeg

I have that disabled. That is Continous AF. I'm asking about IS running all of the time.    

@digital wrote:

I have that disabled. That is Continous AF. I'm asking about IS running all of the time.    

I suggest that you contact Canon Support in your area.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

According to EOS Magazine that is the design situation. IS is active whenever the camera is powered on. They recommend setting camera uto off and viewfinder auto off to the same setting. Default camera off is 1 minute. Default viewfinder off is 3 minutes. Until the viewfiner shuts down any action that mimics raising camera to eye will reactiavte the camera even if auto powered off. This could be actually looking through viewfinder or putting camera against body when carrying. (See April-June 2019 issue).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements