cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 1DX Mark II vs. Canon 5D Mark IV

xeveserpere
Contributor

I want to know the differences and pros and cons between these two cameras for VIDEO. So far I can't really tell the difference between the two cameras for video besides the 1dx mark II can record 4K 60FPS? Thanks in advance for any replies!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I made an account just to help out xeveserpere as a fellow human being using these forums for the right reasons (asking for opinions based on experience or technical knowledge in order to weigh purchase options).

Waddizzle if you haven't used either camera for video and can't speak to the question (which is a valid one), I think your work is done here.  Thanks for making the world a better place for uh, yourself.

My view from the footage I've seen is that the IQ between the two cameras is basically the same, as was the case with the 6D and the 5D mk iii, which I intercut all the time.  

There are some very talented people who swear by the 1DX mark ii for video, most famously Parker Wahlbeck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS4AtIDJtoE

That said, he got it before the 5d mark iv came out.  To my eye, the 1080p footage looks the same, they have equal autofocus capabilities, and they both have high frame rates.  Neither will be as crisp as a C-series cine camera, but they will be full frame... in 1080p.

Here, in my view, are the video differences:

-C-Log: the 5D mark iv can be upgraded to include C-Log as an option, which isn't in the cards at this point for the 1DX mark ii.

-4K crop: the 1dx mk ii has a 4k crop factor of 1.3x, whereas the 5D mark iv has a 4k crop factor of 1.74x or something

-120fps: the 1dx mk ii can do this at 1080p, while the 5d mark ii can only do this at 720p

As I currently shoot 1080p for clients that are ok with DSLR-level image quality, the 5D mark iv looks great to me.  But I might wait for the C200 to see if that will fit my needs.

The 1DC might make sense for you too, but it has its own drawbacks, such as price of course.

Thanks!

Geoff

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@xeveserpere wrote:

I want to know the differences and pros and cons between these two cameras for VIDEO. So far I can't really tell the difference between the two cameras for video besides the 1dx mark II can record 4K 60FPS? Thanks in advance for any replies!

Your question is extremely vague, far more than you realize.  It begs the question, how much do actually understand about video?  You're asking for a tutorial.  You are not asking about anything specific. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

xeveserpere
Contributor
I am asking something specific. What are the differences in these two cameras specifications that would affect video. From what I've been able to gather the 1dx Mark II has a much faster burst rate for photography, a dual processor, a better build quality, higher ISO capabilities and as mentioned before the ability to shoot 4K at 60fps. Yes the question is vague but that's because I can't see much difference as far as the technical specifications that would affect video quality. Maybe my knowledge is lacking but I'm not asking for a tutorial. I simply want to know if the canon 1dx mark II produces higher quality videos than the 5d mark IV or if the 2000$ difference between camera bodies is primarily because of camera build quality as well as better settings for photography or if there's a significant upgrade to video quality/capabilities between the two cameras. Sorry if it's too vague for you but that is my question.

"I am asking something specific. What are the differences in these two cameras specifications that would affect video."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, you can download the Instruction Manuals at the following.  They contain a complete listing of all specifications, and you can compare the camera specifications yourself. 

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support

Sorry.  But, I still say that your question is too broad.  It still sounds like you want sommeone to explain what the specifications mean.  There are a host of differences betweeen the cameras.  You can read and compare the specifications yourself.

@xeveserpere wrote:
I am asking something specific. What are the differences in these two cameras specifications that would affect video. From what I've been able to gather the 1dx Mark II has a much faster burst rate for photography, a dual processor, a better build quality, higher ISO capabilities and as mentioned before the ability to shoot 4K at 60fps. Yes the question is vague but that's because I can't see much difference as far as the technical specifications that would affect video quality. Maybe my knowledge is lacking but I'm not asking for a tutorial. I simply want to know if the canon 1dx mark II produces higher quality videos than the 5d mark IV or if the 2000$ difference between camera bodies is primarily because of camera build quality as well as better settings for photography or if there's a significant upgrade to video quality/capabilities between the two cameras. Sorry if it's too vague for you but that is my question.

I see your point, but I think you may have trouble finding many people who can speak to the issue from personal experience. My take is that few who can afford a 1DX II are going to buy one if they're serious about video. They're going to buy a true video camera instead.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

xeveserpere
Contributor
Thank you for your response. Definitely something I'll be looking into!

@xeveserpere wrote:
Thank you for your response. Definitely something I'll be looking into!

If you knew anything about video, then you would be looking at the Canon 1Dc, which is the 1 Sereies body that has been optimized for video.

I don't know why you find it necesarry to constantly attack my knowledgability of video. As stated before I never claimed to have vast knowledge of video and that is the very reason why I'm on the forums. I'm looking into many cameras including the 1Dc as well as other digital video cameras. 

@xeveserpere wrote:

I don't know why you find it necesarry to constantly attack my knowledgability of video. As stated before I never claimed to have vast knowledge of video and that is the very reason why I'm on the forums. I'm looking into many cameras including the 1Dc as well as other digital video cameras. 

I'm not being insulting.  I initially told you that your question was too vague.  It was YOU who disagreed, by claiming that you had asked a specific question.  True, you made no claim to understand specifications.  You merely pretended that you did.

I made an account just to help out xeveserpere as a fellow human being using these forums for the right reasons (asking for opinions based on experience or technical knowledge in order to weigh purchase options).

Waddizzle if you haven't used either camera for video and can't speak to the question (which is a valid one), I think your work is done here.  Thanks for making the world a better place for uh, yourself.

My view from the footage I've seen is that the IQ between the two cameras is basically the same, as was the case with the 6D and the 5D mk iii, which I intercut all the time.  

There are some very talented people who swear by the 1DX mark ii for video, most famously Parker Wahlbeck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS4AtIDJtoE

That said, he got it before the 5d mark iv came out.  To my eye, the 1080p footage looks the same, they have equal autofocus capabilities, and they both have high frame rates.  Neither will be as crisp as a C-series cine camera, but they will be full frame... in 1080p.

Here, in my view, are the video differences:

-C-Log: the 5D mark iv can be upgraded to include C-Log as an option, which isn't in the cards at this point for the 1DX mark ii.

-4K crop: the 1dx mk ii has a 4k crop factor of 1.3x, whereas the 5D mark iv has a 4k crop factor of 1.74x or something

-120fps: the 1dx mk ii can do this at 1080p, while the 5d mark ii can only do this at 720p

As I currently shoot 1080p for clients that are ok with DSLR-level image quality, the 5D mark iv looks great to me.  But I might wait for the C200 to see if that will fit my needs.

The 1DC might make sense for you too, but it has its own drawbacks, such as price of course.

Thanks!

Geoff

Announcements