Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Re: 6Dmk1 vs 80D? Upgrading from a T5i.

I will keep it in mind, thank you! I was eyeing the Canon 16-35 2.8L, but the Sigma looks much more appealing (especially at that price!)

Any idea how they would compare? Just glancing at the Sigma right now they seem to be similar lenses, and that f/1.8 is very intriguing to me.

Haha trust me I know how important good glass is Smiley Wink
VIP

@tomhillmeyer wrote:
I will keep it in mind, thank you! I was eyeing the Canon 16-35 2.8L, but the Sigma looks much more appealing (especially at that price!)

Any idea how they would compare? Just glancing at the Sigma right now they seem to be similar lenses, and that f/1.8 is very intriguing to me.

Haha trust me I know how important good glass is Smiley Wink

If you are entertaining thoughts of going FF in the future, then now would be a good time to decide if you want to spend big bucks on EF-S mount lenses, or EF mount lenses.  In most cases, the EF mount lenses generally have a better build than their EF-S counterparts.

Me?  I stopped buying EF-S mount lenses, because I wanted to upgrade to a FF.  I liked the DOF and FOV from a FF body.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
VIP

"...then now would be a good time to decide if you want to spend big bucks on EF-S mount lenses,..."

They will still be viable on his 80D.  Buying a FF in the future has nothing to do with that. I used crop anf FF together for many years.  Seemed to work OK for me.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
VIP

I don't have a crop body anylonger so I can't consider the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon.  But if I had to choose between the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon and the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Lens I probably would go for the Canon.  As a matter of fact I do own that lens only in the first version.

The Sigma is a DC lens which means it is a crop sensor design. On an 80D it is a truly fantastic combo.  It is likely sharper than the Canon on the same camera.

VIP

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...then now would be a good time to decide if you want to spend big bucks on EF-S mount lenses,..."

They will still be viable on his 80D.  Buying a FF in the future has nothing to do with that. I used crop anf FF together for many years.  Seemed to work OK for me.

Are you actually arguing that lenses made expressly for the "EF-S" can still be used on a FF body?  

Or, are you arguing that it is okay to a heavy investment in "EF-S" mount lenses, ieven f you plan to invest in a FF body in the near future?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Occasional Contributor

I think he's trying to say be careful with lens selection, because upgrading to full frame in the future is harder the more money you have sunk in EF-S lenses. He's also saying FF lenses are usually higher quality and even if you're not upgrading to full frame in the future, they're much better glass even for a crop sensor.

VIP

@tomhillmeyer wrote:

I think he's trying to say be careful with lens selection, because upgrading to full frame in the future is harder the more money you have sunk in EF-S lenses. He's also saying FF lenses are usually higher quality and even if you're not upgrading to full frame in the future, they're much better glass even for a crop sensor.

Doesn't sound like it to me, though.  It sounds like he is promoting the Sigma "DC" lens, even if you plan to go FF.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-80d-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-stm-kit-refurbished

Highlighted
VIP

[ Edited ]

"...are you arguing that it is okay to a heavy investment in "EF-S" mount lenses,..."

OK it surely is, if that is what you want.

" I used crop and FF together for many years"

I think you must need more sleep.  I used the ef-s lenses on the Rebels and ef on the FF.  Now that wasn't really that hard to understand was it?  Purchasing an 80D now with the Siggy has little to do with future goals of obtaining a FF.  The 80D and the Sigma will still do their job as always. "They will still be viable on his 80D."

Get some more coffee!  Smiley Wink

VIP

"It sounds like he is promoting the Sigma "DC" lens, even if you plan to go FF."

Question, do think people can not own both formats?  What in the world can be wrong with that?

Folks can even own both ef and ef-s lenses at the same time.  No harm, no foul.

VIP

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"It sounds like he is promoting the Sigma "DC" lens, even if you plan to go FF."

Question, do think people can not own both formats?  What in the world can be wrong with that?

Folks can even own both ef and ef-s lenses at the same time.  No harm, no foul.

Sounds like plan, to me.  Buy a FF body, but invest heavily in lenses that you cannot use with it.  Check!