cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark III and SD Card Speeds

Sirpopealot
Apprentice

Is there any truth to the claims in this link that the SD Card speeds are limited by the 5D Mark III to 133x?

Canon 5D Mark III and SD Cards

Thanks!

Nothing is more simple than greatness ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
16 REPLIES 16

You can try yourself with Magic Lantern and the benchmark function.

1100D, 500D, 550D, 600D, 60D, 5DIII all use the same slow ~21 MB/s for SD.

EOS M, 100D, 650D, 700D, 6D use SD UHS and around ~40 MB/s. With my 6D I get around 43 MB/s write. speed.

@Peter wrote:
1100D, 500D, 550D, 600D, 60D, 5DIII all use the same slow ~21 MB/s for SD.

EOS M, 100D, 650D, 700D, 6D use SD UHS and around ~40 MB/s. With my 6D I get around 43 MB/s write. speed.

And, to expand the discussion, for CF cards?

50D 70MB/s.
7D 80MB/s.
5DII 75 MB/s.
5DIII: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12630.0

There is a difference in video mode and playback mode, so I think I was wrong before about fastest 5DIII CF speed. Check out the link for yourself.

Unfortunately, it defaults to the slowest card/card reader max 133. Solution: remove the SD card and write speed defaults to CF card.

Richard,

Can you you please tell us what happens after an "overflow error" occurs?

The word "overflow" suggests that every time the camera buffer fills up that data will be lost. 

The word "error" suggests that filling the buffer is an abnormal condition that the camera can not handle correctly. 

Surely it can't be the case that either of those statements are true.  It would be a terrible way to build a camera. 

Lookibg firward to a clarification. 

Thank you. 

@Canon01801 wrote:

Richard,

Can you you please tell us what happens after an "overflow error" occurs?

The word "overflow" suggests that every time the camera buffer fills up that data will be lost. 

The word "error" suggests that filling the buffer is an abnormal condition that the camera can not handle correctly. 

Surely it can't be the case that either of those statements are true.  It would be a terrible way to build a camera. 

Lookibg firward to a clarification. 

Thank you. 

This is a rather old thread.  If you overflow the buffer, you should regard that condition as an operator error.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements