Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcam Utility broken with MacOS 15 Sequoia

andystalick
Apprentice

The utility can't connect to the camera, and the fix on MacOS14 Sonoma to set

system-override legacy-camera-plugins-without-sw-camera-indication=on

doesn't work.

MacOS 15 has been available to developers for months now, why is this still broken at release time?

13 REPLIES 13

frdarryl
Apprentice

Same here, at least when I try using it in Zoom. I only receive the not connected screen from EOS Webcam Utility (the red "X" over the USB symbol) when I try to use it.

2018 Mac Mini (Intel core i7), Canon EOS M50. Worked fine in the previous MacOS; stopped working after the update yesterday.

se6ul6a
Apprentice

Same story 😞 MS Teams and Zoom also can't connect to the camera.

Stephen

Apple has a history of dramatically changing from one developer build to the next. We've been bitten in the past from developing software and drivers based on non-release-candidate builds that were later changed, so we literally had to start over. Our product portfolio is far too large for a setback like that. Our engineers have told me that the development team typically waits until a release candidate comes out before they really dive into finalizing anything major. I'm not saying they don't start developing with a handful of products to get a feel for what could be different - they don't dive feet-first into a dev beta. 

The problem is that this attitude of Canon is better suited to toys than to professional devices on which the punctuality of delivery of a job to a customer depends. Unfortunately Canon is causing damage to those who use its products and does not bother to send a simple email asking not to make upgrades that compromise the functionality of its products.
Too bad. I have to think of something more serious.

This is crippling. I've got 3 Canon DSLR cameras that were purchased specifically to be used as webcams for my team who is 100% remote and now they are worthless... On top of that I bet that the fix to this will only be available in the Paid version (please release a free version). Please take into account that there are people that rely on this feature and if they leave, are never coming back. It's probably more people than you think.

andystalick
Apprentice

Fair enough, Stephen - if the product team prefers to wait, we will take it as a given. I am a little surprised that the team wouldn't at least test on the Dev Previews to get an idea of what issues could arrive in the RC, rather than just being surprised on the date - but I get that dev team hours are expensive and in short supply.  And the customers have already paid, so there's not much risk of losing revenue.

The RC for Sequoia was released on Sept 9, so engineers have had about a week-and-a-half to troubleshoot the issue.  This is a P0 bug in production, impacting actual users in the field. 

What is the plan to remediate it? What is the timetable for a patch?

HermannArya
Apprentice

I also have the problem and had to switch back to my old webcam instead of my high quality DSLR which is a shame. Hopefully there will be a fix for that issue soon. 

Marshal
Apprentice

While we wait for this, one can use the Cascable Pro Webcam app. It seems to work ok. A slight delay but at least it works. 

andystalick
Apprentice

I gave up and just went back to the Blackmagicdesign ATEM Mini I was using before the Webcam Utility was released.  Full 1080p support and low cpu. Takes up more room on my desk than I'd like, though!

Some people rely on $15 commodity HDMI capture devices with a degree of success - may be worth a try.

Announcements