cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5 having slow Shutter Speed

clayharned
Apprentice

Hey gang,

I'm having trouble while taking pictures with my T5. The shutter speed seems abnormally slow. This is for my Yearbook class, so high school students are taking the pictures. We typically use AV mode for almost all pictures.

When I take a picture with our T3i in AV mode, I'll get a shutter speed of 1/100. I tried taking the same picture, with the same lens on the T5, and the shutter speed was 1/40. All settings as far as ISO and Exposure were the same. The lens we're using is the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens.

We're using the correct AF mode and corresponding IS mode on the lens, but it's just not working well on the T5. Pictures are either dark and/or blurry. I know I can switch to TV mode and pick my own shutter speed, but even then it seems a lot slower compared to the T3i. 

Any ideas as to what the problem would be with the T5?

Any and all advice is welcomed.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

ScottyP
Authority
Hi,

Are these set portraits against a background we are talking about here? If so I don't know that Av is right.

Also, you say you are trying TV mode but the shutter "seems slower" than the T3i and the shots are coming out dark AND blurry. I don't think that adds up. If the shutter was really slow, the photos would be too bright, not too dark, though the blurry part would make sense.

Are you using lighting? What kind?

One more thing: Could one of the kids have dialed in some negative exposure compensation? Or negative flash compensation? A reset to default settings would fix any weird setting some mischievous button pusher might have done.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@clayharned wrote:

Hey gang,

I'm having trouble while taking pictures with my T5. The shutter speed seems abnormally slow. This is for my Yearbook class, so high school students are taking the pictures. We typically use AV mode for almost all pictures.

When I take a picture with our T3i in AV mode, I'll get a shutter speed of 1/100. I tried taking the same picture, with the same lens on the T5, and the shutter speed was 1/40. All settings as far as ISO and Exposure were the same. The lens we're using is the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens.

We're using the correct AF mode and corresponding IS mode on the lens, but it's just not working well on the T5. Pictures are either dark and/or blurry. I know I can switch to TV mode and pick my own shutter speed, but even then it seems a lot slower compared to the T3i. 

Any ideas as to what the problem would be with the T5?

Any and all advice is welcomed.

Thanks!

First thing is to check and make sure both cameras are in the same metering mode, preferably evaluative metering.

Is the eyecup missing off the back of the T5?

Try using P (program) mode and auto ISO.

Announcements