cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what does refurbished mean

macroman77
Apprentice

Thinking about buying the canon 3D Mark 111 refurbished. Just what does refurbished mean?

4 REPLIES 4

cjlynch
Apprentice

Hello,

Dictionary would give you a reasonable insight, but usually in regard to computer products it will either be a product that is virtually brand new, perhaps returned by a customer as an unwanted gift (typically unused), or was on display in the retail outlet. The product normally has full warranty. All-in-all it's usually a good all round deal, with a healthy cost saving.

Regards

Chris Lynch

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@macroman77 wrote:

Thinking about buying the canon 3D Mark 111 refurbished. Just what does refurbished mean?

For cameras refurbished means cameras that were returned to the manufacturer for any reason, then inspected by a technician, and any repairs that are needed are made.

I have purchased several refurbished cameras. All came looking like new. I just purchased a refurbished 7D Mk II, it again was like new. I checked the shutter count on it when I received it, it had 324 actuations, on a camera rated for 200,000 actuations that's nothing at all.

I've been very happy with my refurbished purchases, and since Canon now offers a one year warranty on cameras purchased from Canon Direct there is no reason that I know of not to buy one. 

@TTMartin wrote:

@macroman77 wrote:

For cameras refurbished means cameras that were returned to the manufacturer for any reason, then inspected by a technician, and any repairs that are needed are made.

I have purchased several refurbished cameras. All came looking like new. I just purchased a refurbished 7D Mk II, it again was like new. I checked the shutter count on it when I received it, it had 324 actuations, on a camera rated for 200,000 actuations that's nothing at all.

I've been very happy with my refurbished purchases, and since Canon now offers a one year warranty on cameras purchased from Canon Direct there is no reason that I know of not to buy one. 

I've not bought a refurbished Canon, but a good friend of mine has (a 5D Mk III), and he's been very happy with it. I've never heard anything unfavorable about Canon's refurbished equipment program.

That said, I'd be VERY suspicious of that particular model, inasmuch as Canon's Web site offers no hint that Canon ever made a 3D Mk III.  Smiley Frustrated

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@macroman77 wrote:

I am going to assume that your model number is a typo.  As Robert said, there is no "3D Mark III" camera out there.

As for you question, refurbished means whatever the person who says it wants it to mean.  In the case of the Canon online outlet store, we know what it means.  It means that you will get a fully tested product, guaranteed and waranteed to be just as a good a new piece of Canon gear.

When another vendor says "refurbished", that could really mean anything.  It might mean something good if they use the pharase "factory refurbished", but why bother with buying "factory refurbished" when you can get it directly from the factory without a markup.

Some vendors just might be reputable when it comes to selling "refurbished" gear.  I would search for reviews about  the vendor, or just buy it straight from Canon, which is really your best option, IMHO.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements