cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade from Rebel T7 to what?

mball1114
Apprentice

I have the Rebel T7.  I love it except that at a recent indoor session I was annoyed by the noise the shutter was making.  This was my first indoor session so outdoors I never was bothered by it.  So, I'd like to upgrade to a camera that makes no shutter noise (mirrorless?) AND I want to maintain using my current EF lenses (yes, I know I need an adpapter).  Would the EOS M50 Mark II be a good choice?  Someone suggested on social media that maybe the R series would be better...?  I am trying NOT to spend $1K or more.  

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I am not certain if any M Series bodies have silent shooting. The R Series bodies do have silent shooting modes available. I suggest the RP for non-action photography. The RP can handle action photography in the right set of hands. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Interesting post. I'm aware of the shutter noise but it tells me the camera is working. Really doesn't bother me, indoors or outdoors.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I think you should look at the R series first. I am not a big fan of adapting EF/EF-S lenses to M mount.  Besides the adapter is around $150 bucks. Of course I am not a big fan of the M series cameras in the first place. 

Another option would be one of the Powershot cameras.  Don't discount them . They are very capable cameras and if you are considering an M series anyway, not much difference. For instance the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III. Perhaps the Canon PowerShot G9 X Mark II both under your budget price.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Really doesn't bother me, indoors or outdoors."

You have not shot in a very quiet Catholic church with a persnickety priest! 😬

EB

Interesting, doubt if that will happen. 

John

"Interesting, doubt if that will happen."

You have not been doing it for nearly six decades as a living and a hobby!  🤔

EB

Sort of but, at this time, never had to shoot in any church. If it was a Pentecostal church, no one would notice. Been to their services with family.

John

"You have not been doing it for nearly six decades as a living and a hobby!"

"Sort of but, ..."

Really? I would not have guessed but ya never know.

EB

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I have the M5, which I consider the flagship stills M-series camera, and it does not have an options for a fully silent shutter.  I agree that the RP might be the way to go and you can use your current lenses via the adapter.  If you are using EF-S lenses, note that the MP size drops from 26MP to about 10MP because the FF sensor crops down to the Angle of view of the EF-S lens (as per P584 of the Advanced User Guide 

In the PowerShot range, the PS G1X MkIII has an APS-C sensor and a 24-72mm Equivalent lens.  It has all the controls of your current DSLR and it can be set to Mute mode (no sounds).  See: DP REVIEW on PS G1XMkIII 

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements