cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

self timer autofocus

menzhausen
Apprentice

I am trying to figure out how I can use the self timer on my T4i while the camera will still autofocus before the picture is actually taken. The camera seems to go into focus lock when the shutter is pressed and then just takes the picture at whatever it locked the focus in when the shutter was pressed, hence you cannot move into the picture as you will be out of focus. I read through the manual and it may not be possible. This would be shame because my point and shoot does re-adjust the focus before it takes the foto. Anyone have any suggestions?

1 REPLY 1

Skirball
Authority

That’s unbelievable, I had no idea it did that.  What poor design.

I had to look it up, looks like you’re right.  No fixes that I know of (Magic Lantern??), only work arounds.  The most obvious, is to have another person, or object in the frame at the same distance and focus on them then set to manual focus.  Alternately is to get a remote.  I have a little RC-1 and I use it all the time.   There’s an instant trigger and a 2-second delay.  They camera sets focus after the 2 second delay.  Great for self-portraits, normal portraits, studio work, etc. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements