cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sd card cannot be accessed - Canon EOS 700D

stacy36
Apprentice

Hi, I recently got ahold of a Canon EOS 700D, very very new to using cameras like this so I really don't know anything. I have tried removing the "Write protect" with CMD. I was able to format it but still cant access in the camera. Tried a new SD card and still the same, wouldn't let me format any SD card with the camera too. Would it be possible it's the camera/ camera SD slot that has a problem and not my SD cards? Thank you in advance!

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What brand and storage capacity cards are you using?  Are using micro-SD cards?

Stick to major brands like SanDisk or Lexar.  Never use micro-SD cards that require the use of a plastic adapter because the adapters are unreliable.  Do not go for the large storage capacity cards.  Try testing with one that is 32GB or smaller.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Would it be possible it's the camera/ camera SD slot that has a problem and not my SD cards?

Yes it could. Try formatting the full size SD card on a Windows computer. After it formats correctly now try it in the camera. If it doesn't access it now, there is most likely a problem with the camera. If it is a camera problem any significant repair costs can quickly exceed the value of the camera. So repair isn't a good option but a simple cleaning might just work.

BTW, if the Windows machine formats the SD card it is probably OK. I don't know if this works using a Mac but I would not try it or trust it on a Mac.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

You can format SD cards on a Mac with the DiskUtility application.  It understands all Apple file systems along with MS-DOS (FAT) and ExFAT.

disk_utility_sd_card.pngerase_sd_mac.png

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yeah I know. I still don't recommend it to test an SD card in a Canon camera. I know Windows works so I like to keep it as uncomplicated as possible.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements