cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recommended model for tethered shooting.

numbers
Contributor

Must be able to live view. price under $1000, Prefer under $500 

coins primary subject.  

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@numbers wrote:

As such, I'd like to use digital photography to take clear, sharp pictures of my coins to document my collection and share with other collectors for trading purposes.

Based I what I've gathered so far, I'm considering purchasing a SL1 body, AC adapter kit, &  EF 100mm f/2.8 macro usm lens.

You don't need anything fancy to get accurate images of coins, just a bit of time getting it set properly.  Any camera back to the 450D has live view, though you don't even need LV for this.  Furthermore, any camera back to 450D (and a couple models before) have more than enough resolution for this need.  Unless you plan and getting into photography as a hobby, I'd look at getting a refurbish Rebel camera (450D, 500D, 550D, 600D...) directly from Canon.  You could save quite a bit of money.  I'd even try to pick up the 100mm macro from them if you can get it.  All come with warranties.

Here's the camera bodies:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras#

Looks like most of the Rebels come in a kit, and you don't need a kit.  Though they have a refurbished SLR for $500.  If you hold out you could get a T3i for $400.  Likewise, you can get the 100mm for under $500, but they're tough to find.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Skirball
Authority

Get a T5i (less than $1000 in a kit), or if you can find a refurbished T3i you could probably get that in a kit under $500.

Thank you for your recommendations

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

All of the currently sold Canon EOS camera bodies can do "wired" tethered shooting and support "live view".  

The 70D and 6D are more than you wanted to spend, but they do have integrated WiFi can do "wireless" tethered shooting when using Canon's software.

If you're not averse to own a refurbished body, you can save a bit by purchasing a camera from Canon's online store in the refrubished section:  http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you for your recommendations.

Rebel T5i and Lightroom 5.  Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you for your recommendation.

For the added expense what advatage does lightroom have over the canon sftwr?

"For the added expense what advatage does lightroom have over the canon sftwr?"

Lightroom 5 and it's big brother Photoshop are professional level programs. They are the industry standard.  If Lightromm can not do what you want, or PS, it is likely not possibile.  Virtually every pro (99.9%) uses LR and/or PS.  I know of none that use the free Canon software.

Lightroom will also let you do some adjustments to your photographs and of course PS is the ultimate for editing.

Lightromm is around $150 bucks but PS is only availible through subscription from Adobe.  It is $9.99 per month and includes LR.

My recommendation is still a Rebel T5i with a EF 100mm  f2.8 non-IS (copy stand, right?) and Lightromm 5.  This is probably the cheapest way to do what you want.  That is just a little more than you indicated you wanted to spend at around $1350 but this will prove to be a very good outfit for your stated objective.

One caveat, the EF 100mm f2.8 is not a good general porpuse lens.  You will still need a "normal" lens if you want to do "nomral" pictures.  Could be had for as little as a additional hundred bucks for a EF (Niftty 50) 50mm f1.8.  Or you could buy the T5i with a kit lens for around $750. (Plus the 100mm plus LR5)

EB

Sorry for the delay in responding. It was a very busy week at the office.Thanks for the additional info on sftwr. I've picked up a

used 450 body from Ebay for $150 + shipping . It should arrive today.  I also ordered an AC adapter kit and Tokina AF 100mm f/2.8 AT-X M100 Pro D Macro Lens new (arrived yesterday!?!) for $437. So except for the suggested sftwr I got everything for just under $600. Perfect numbers! Can't wait to start playing. I'll start using the Canon sftwr first to see what it has to offer.  For now this unit will likely stay attached to my copy stand for the sole purpose of photographing coins, as such I wont need a general purpose lens, but thanks for the tip. my little point & shoot or iphone are more convenient for everyday photo memories.

Thanks again

"...  my little point & shoot or iphone are more convenient for everyday photo memories."

I don't know?  Once you see how much better any Rebel is to a P&S or much less a iphone  Smiley Sad, you may want to jump right in there with the rest of us.  One lens is never enough!  They are addictive. Smiley Happy

Happy shooting...........

EB
Announcements