cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

on Site Tether issue with Canon EOS 70D

redged01
Contributor

I have set up a long term time lapse project that will run for several years, with the aim of visiting the camera every couple of weeks to collect the images.  I'm using an 'onSite' Tether to power the EOS 70D, which in turn is connected to the mains power supply via a USB adaptor.

The issue is that despite the sustained power being on to the EOS 70D, over a couple of days the battery power indicator on the camera decreases, and eventually the camera shuts down.  Is there a way in which I can avoid this?  Setting in the camera?

Many in advance

redged01

28 REPLIES 28

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"No, you are not correct."

Actually he is. 😉 If the voltage goes up, the amperage has to go down. Ohm’s Law says voltage and amperage are inversely proportionally.  The voltage goes up the amperage goes down because you are going to get the same amount of work out if it. It may supply enough for a short, or some period of time, but soon it will catch up with the inadequate output.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

normadel
Authority
Authority

redged01...Give it up already!

ebiggs1 expanded on the voltage-amperage-power thing before I did. It is all BASIC ELECTRICITY! Do some reading. The "boost converter" in your Tether cannot give you more POWER than there is to give. Watt's Law.

If you want to power your camera without an AC-source power supply, you need a battery power supply that STEPS DOWN its voltage source to 7.2 volts.

I'm am powering the camera from an AC source.  It's plugged into the mains. The Tether system is a commercially available product. It is not an issue of not having power available.  The camera is plugged into a system with essential constant power.  This morning I went to the camera - plugged into the Tether system - plugged into an AC powered USB charger.  The camera showed the battery charge indicator was 1/2 full.  When I turned off the AC power, and relied on the internal battery, the camera still showed the charge to be 1/2 full.  When I turned the camera off then on again - the camera showed the charge to be 1/2 full.  When I unplugged the camera (removing all power to the camera), then plugged the battery back in again - the camera  reported full battery.  There appears to be an accumulative effect of sustained power to the camera that 'believes' that the available voltage is decreasing. 

Of course the system isn't fit for purpose, at least for the EOS70D, because I can't visit the camera every 3 days for the next 7 years.  Is there an alternative system that the EOS70D can be powered for weeks (not just hours or days)?  Is the issue specific for the EOS 70D?

"The camera showed the battery charge indicator was 1/2 full."

Perhaps I am not in full understanding of the setup, having no experience with your setup.  But I suspect the camera is showing 1/2 charge because that is exactly what your power supply is giving it. It is underpowered for this purpose. Trying to power a 70D for 7 years is a daunting task. I would expect a 70D that had the proper power would run as long as there was a working camera attached.

"When I unplugged the camera (removing all power to the camera), then plugged the battery back in again - the camera  reported full battery."

It will take the 70D a moment or two for the 70D to recheck the battery power. Again not familiar as to whether there is a Canon brand AC power supply for their 70D or not but if there isn't one then the 70D is not designed to accept or use one. It isn't any different when folks try to put off brand battery grips on Canon cameras not designed to use a battery grip.  Sometimes those end up with very unfavorable results as they can actually damage the camera.

Perhaps a call to a Canon tech 1 (800) 652-2666 will yield results. However as stated if the70D isn't designed to use an AC adapter, they will instruct you to not do it.

EB

normadel
Authority
Authority

Yes, there certainly is a Canon brand AC Adapter. It's the one to replace the LP-E6 battery, used in a lot of cameras. The adapter doesn't know or care which camera it is connected to.

If reged01 is using an AC-powered USB power supply to power the Tether, I sure don't get why he isn't just using a direct-from-AC-to LP-E6.  replacer. If the Canon is too expensive, he can find others at B&H Photo.

Since he appears to be stuck on his Tether, I suggest we leave him to it. I'm done with this one.

This is my last post on the topic, at least to this group.  I don't usually contact forum - I had much greater expectation

1.  To date I have  taken around 4000 picture with the onSite Tether.  There is no issue with the power supply.  It is a commercially available unit -you can even buy it at B&H Photo - you would know this if any of you had done any research before pontificating.

2.  I am "suck" on the onSite Tether because I have every expectation that using a an alternative won't make a difference.  The most sensible thing 'normadel' has said is "I'm done with this one"

3.  The 'Legends', without fully reading what I wrote or even looked at the onSite Tether system (I even provided a link) jumped to a conclusion and stuck with it.  Not very useful in leaders of a Forum.  If you don't know say so, or stay quiet

4.  ebigg1, I'm not plugging into the USB port - that will not charge the camera - you can use it to tether to a computer.  but the onSite Tether, connects to the battery port.

The most clearest explanation has come from onSite Tether themselves when I contacted them.  There is a built in algorithm that 'expects' to see a fall in battery level over time, presumably to ensure the battery is not over discharged. Eventually the algorithm determines the battery is discharged and turns off the camera.  If I momentarily remove the power to the battery (not turn the camera off) the battery level is restored. Which fits with the explanation provided by onSite. If you chose to look, you will notice that the EOS 70D is no longer a supported camera model for the Tether system.

Perhaps this last paragraph my be a help to you when you choose to give your wisdom to other

Goodbye,, 

I'm done with this one

Gee, if you had gone right to the manufacturer BEFORE COMING HERE, you would have saved yourself a lot of time and disappointment with us. 

Next time, do some work yourself.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"There is a built in algorithm that 'expects' to see a fall in battery level over time, presumably to ensure the battery is not over discharged."

I never heard of such a routine and I doubt it to be true as Canon does make an AC adapter for the 70D. Correct? Why would they then put a glitch in the hardware to turn the camera off from time to time. Doesn't make much sense when you think about it. Does it?

Remember I did give you a disclaimer although I do tether quit a lot, "I never run over 6 or 7 hours though and it is on continuously except when it goes to sleep while I set up a new shot."

The advice freely given here is worth exactly what you paid for it. Sorry we were of little help.

EB

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I recommend you contact the Extreme Ice Survey.  They had the same kind of project when they were taking time-lapse images over years of receding glaciers.  They needed the cameras to function in extreme conditions, they had a lot of challenges with voltage regulation and they had to develop a special voltage regulator, which they did successfully.  If you want to see the story, I suggest you view the film Chasing Ice HERE. 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements