cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new 90D

tinwhistle
Enthusiast

I just bought the new 90D. First few pictures I couldn't get downloaded to the computer (windows 10), anotrher batch today, but tried to download updated software onto the computer first. What a disaster. Downloaded all that I thought I'd need and use and it downloaded as a zip file. Apparently Windows 10 doesn't like Zip files. Or I don't know how to open them, anyway I somehow got a few images into the computer and the RAW(CR3) files downloade as PS files. Nothing I have will open them. Does anybody out there have any suggestions? I never had any trouble with downloading from my 70D or my Mark II. Raw in the old models was CR2. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK boys and girls. After about 3 hours (over 2 days) on the phone with Canon the service lady I was working with gave up. However, over that time frame I did learn something about the 90D and EOS Utility. The 90D and EOS Utility 2 are not compatable. The infinite wisdom of Canon decided to pair the 90D with EOS Utility 3. That little bit of juicy information has not been very well distributed. Which brings us to the next problem; the Utility 3 will not download from the Canon site. I don't know why and the tech doesn't know why. It just wouldn't do it. Now I could go into a lot of detail as to what we did to make this thing work, but I won't: I'll just tell you that she gave up and told me I'd have to use some other software (Microsoft?) to download my images. That is not acceptable to me, so I went looking. At an online web site I found the EOS Utility 3 and the plug-ins. Five minutes later I'm up and running with my old favorite downloader and my new 90D. Hmmmmmmm?

By the way, my PC works just fine.......

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Just want to let you guys know that no matter what I tried I was still unable to down load my RAW files. Finally called Canon and spent at least an hour with the tech. She gave up, told me she would have to research my situation and get back to me tomorrow. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions...

Just to be clear, you did try downloading your files to another computer that was up to date for software?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Does your computer have a card reader?

@tinwhistle wrote:

@tinwhistle wrote:

I just bought the new 90D. First few pictures I couldn't get downloaded to the computer (windows 10), anotrher batch today, but tried to download updated software onto the computer first. What a disaster. Downloaded all that I thought I'd need and use and it downloaded as a zip file. Apparently Windows 10 doesn't like Zip files. Or I don't know how to open them, anyway I somehow got a few images into the computer and the RAW(CR3) files downloade as PS files. Nothing I have will open them. Does anybody out there have any suggestions? I never had any trouble with downloading from my 70D or my Mark II. Raw in the old models was CR2. 

I want to thank all who took the time to help with my "download" problem with the 90D. Nothing works, no matter what I try.I'm convinced it's a faulty camera. However, there are several Windowos updates I tried to download and they downloaded in zip files and my computer won't open them. I'll call my computer guy and see if he can help. But I still have that gut feeling that it's a faulty camera.  I'll call the store Monday and see if I can exchange the camera, if not I guess I'll have to send it in. Never had a problem with any of my other Canon cameras, bummer...

Once upon a time, I helped to write the "Genercs" in the original .NET Framework version of Windows.  THAT is not how Windows works.

Updates do not download as ZIP files, never have, never will, and I seriously doubt if they ever will.  I do not know what Canon could be researching, but I suspect they are searching for a polite way to tell you that your PC is the issue.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I suspect they are searching for a polite way to tell you that your PC is the issue."

Such an easy way to find out, too!  Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

OK boys and girls. After about 3 hours (over 2 days) on the phone with Canon the service lady I was working with gave up. However, over that time frame I did learn something about the 90D and EOS Utility. The 90D and EOS Utility 2 are not compatable. The infinite wisdom of Canon decided to pair the 90D with EOS Utility 3. That little bit of juicy information has not been very well distributed. Which brings us to the next problem; the Utility 3 will not download from the Canon site. I don't know why and the tech doesn't know why. It just wouldn't do it. Now I could go into a lot of detail as to what we did to make this thing work, but I won't: I'll just tell you that she gave up and told me I'd have to use some other software (Microsoft?) to download my images. That is not acceptable to me, so I went looking. At an online web site I found the EOS Utility 3 and the plug-ins. Five minutes later I'm up and running with my old favorite downloader and my new 90D. Hmmmmmmm?

@tinwhistle wrote:

OK boys and girls. After about 3 hours (over 2 days) on the phone with Canon the service lady I was working with gave up. However, over that time frame I did learn something about the 90D and EOS Utility. The 90D and EOS Utility 2 are not compatable.

The infinite wisdom of Canon decided to pair the 90D with EOS Utility 3. That little bit of juicy information has not been very well distributed. Which brings us to the next problem; the Utility 3 will not download from the Canon site. I don't know why and the tech doesn't know why. It just wouldn't do it. Now I could go into a lot of detail as to what we did to make this thing work, but I won't: I'll just tell you that she gave up and told me I'd have to use some other software (Microsoft?) to download my images.

That is not acceptable to me, so I went looking. At an online web site I found the EOS Utility 3 and the plug-ins. Five minutes later I'm up and running with my old favorite downloader and my new 90D. Hmmmmmmm?

The EOS Utility 2 has not been used by Canon cameras for several years.  I am happy for you that your PC works "just fine."

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'm glad both your PC and Camera were OK.  I hope that you can now go and shoot without further ado! Smiley Happy

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

"I'm glad both your PC and Camera were OK."

I too am glad you got all working whatever the issue is/was. I doubt all is well with your computer though if it is d/l the Windows updates as zip files. I will guess there is more to this story than you've said.

Anyway, good you got it working. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@tinwhistle wrote:

Unless they've changed it recently, this is how an EOS Utility installation works:

When you install EOSU 3 from scratch, both EOSU 2 and EOSU 3 are installed, along with a supervisor program that decides which version your camera needs. So when you execute EOSU, you get the correct version for whatever camera you're using. But none of this works well unless the installation was done all at once, with no previous installations of either version in the way. So if EOSU isn't working right for you, uninstall it completely and reinstall EOSU 3 from scratch. That has always worked for me.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements