cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to view images on OS without downloading them?

imgClass
Contributor

Is there a cable out there that makes it happen?

Would HDMI mini OUT work for this purpose?

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

No.  In order to view an image on a device, then the image must be sent to that device.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

imgClass
Contributor

Thank you for your input. There has to be something out there. My aging eyes cannot preview images well on a 3"x2" screen, so I'm simply looking to preview (and weed out) them on a larger screen like a monitor.

@imgClass wrote:

Thank you for your input. There has to be something out there. My aging eyes cannot preview images well on a 3"x2" screen, so I'm simply looking to preview (and weed out) them on a larger screen like a monitor.

This might not be ideally what you want, but you can connect the 5D IV to a TV via HDMI. I've lost my cable, so I can't say that it works on my monitor, but it worked on my smart TV when I tried it a few years ago. You will need an HDMI cable with mini HDMI on the camera end and full HDMI on the TV end. Also, if the TV is CEC (consumer electronics control) compliant, you can control the 5D4 playback with the TV remote. But you have to go to the "Playback 3" menu and select "Control over HDMI" and set that to ON. Start with page 432 of the 5D mark IV user manual. I never did try to delete photos while the camera was connected to the TV, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

I hope this helps,

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

That's what I've been thinking initially, but I thought I should ask prior to ordering an HDMI mini cable. I don't see why it shouldn't work, I suppose I'll know once the cable arrives and I test it out. Thanks for regenerating hope in this simple, but apparently complex technological need.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Are you speaking to tethering?  i.e. using a computer or tabet to view images during a photoshoot?  If so, look at the requirements and setup for tethering which can be accomplished in software such as Adobe Lightroom, Capture One, and I'm sure a few others.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

That sounds something along the lines that I'm hoping to achieve- except with an SD card?

Essentially, to mirror my camera's "view photos" mode, on a much bigger screen.

Hi, Take the SD card out of your camera and pop it into the card reader on your computer. Then you can preview the images fullscreen on your computer monitor. You can then transfer only the images you need onto the computer. I do this frequently.

--
Walter
in Davie, FL

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

That's not how tethering works though.  Images would be sent to your computer or tablet while you take the images.  Great for reviewing your images on larger screens and/or showing to clients.

One other possible path is to use Canon's image capture utility on say an iPad or similar.  Basically live view on a larger screen.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What camera do you have?  What OS are you looking to use?

Using an HDMI cable with an external monitor will echo whatever is being displayed on the rear LCD with most Canon camera bodies.  But, sending the image to a computer is a horse of a completely different color.

Canon bodies with Bluetooth should be able to connect to mobile devices using Canon Connect.  Bodies without Bluetooth should be able to connect to computer using a USB cable when using the EOS Utility in Remote Shooting mode.

However, to view captured images on a computer, the image must be sent to the computer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements