cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hello everyone i have a canon m50 ever since i got it the camera tends to records videos really dark

loyariel
Apprentice

i got the camera to stream and make videos i know y room was kinda dark so I got the elgato key light, the camera  with 100 iso/f3.5 and 5800k the video is still too dark when I turn up the iso I don't like how it loses video quality. i don't know what to do anymore outside when the sun is out it looks ok but it has this dark feeling to it like it has colors but its not enough. help is my camera having issues?

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

ISO 100 will typically be much too low for indoor scenes, unless you have a large quanity of light.  Especially at f/3.5.   If you cannot add any more light, and if that's the widest aperture your lens has, you'll need increase ISO.

Also, what shutter speed are you using?  If you're at 1/120 second (e.g. shooting 60 fps), you should look at shooting at 1/60 instead (30 fps).  That will let you cut the ISO in half.

Perhaps also look at a wider-aperture lens.  e.g. an f/1.8 lens would let in four times the amount of light as your f/3.5 lens.  So you could then lower the ISO by two full stops.   Of course at such wide apertures, there is a tradeoff with having shallower depth-of-field.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Crews69
Contributor

@loyariel wrote: DNA HRBlock Sign in

i got the camera to stream and make videos i know y room was kinda dark so I got the elgato key light, the camera  with 100 iso/f3.5 and 5800k the video is still too dark when I turn up the iso I don't like how it loses video quality. i don't know what to do anymore outside when the sun is out it looks ok but it has this dark feeling to it like it has colors but its not enough. help is my camera having issues?

Try manually focusing or experiment with some different auto focus modes. If you're using a tripod make sure to turn off image stabilization. And remember that video is much more forgiving of less than perfect focus than still shooting is.

Announcements