cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hazy line in t3i

cait_babb
Contributor

Hello,

I'm having issues with a haze/line in some of my photos. I thought it was an lens issue, but It happens on almost all of my lens during certain positions while I shoot during "golden hour"

I've had this camera for about 4 years now, and I'm wanting to upgrade. But till I do, does anyone know what I can do?

Thanks

****below is a SOOC shot of what I'm concerned with******

IMG_8402.JPG

12 REPLIES 12

Peter
Authority
Authority
Do you mean the dark line above in the picture? If so, unmount the lens, use the manual sensor cleaning in the camera menu to be able to check the sensor behind the mirror and take a look at the bottom of the sensor.

yes. 

I went ahead and did a manual sensor clean like you said, I didnt see anything, but I also dont know what I'm looking for. I didnt see any dirt or hair. 

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@cait_babb wrote:

Hello,

I'm having issues with a haze/line in some of my photos. I thought it was an lens issue, but It happens on almost all of my lens during certain positions while I shoot during "golden hour"

I've had this camera for about 4 years now, and I'm wanting to upgrade. But till I do, does anyone know what I can do?

Thanks

****below is a SOOC shot of what I'm concerned with******

IMG_8402.JPG

That is lens flare. Lens flare is a normal characteristic of a lens. The better the lens, the better the lens coatings, the better lens flare is controlled. If you are using a 'protective' filter, take it OFF a protective filter will make lens flare much worse. Also use a lens hood if you aren't already that will help a lot with lens flare. 

What lens are you using?

Upgrading your camera will NOT change this. 

Really? I just started getting these about 6 months ago. 

I never thought anything about it till it started to become more consistent. I primarily shoot with a 20mm, 50mm, and a 85mm. I get this with all my lens.  I use a lens hood and orginally thought maybe the lens or the hood wasnt on all the way. But I've checked them both and if I shoot with or without the hood I get this, just depends on my position during 'golden hour'

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

It looks like the shutter is sticking.

The shutter doors work like a set of blinds -- it's not a solid piece, it's a series of blades that fold and unfold.  There are two of them referred to as "curtains" or "doors". 

See this video if you want to see how it works:

But one more thing to keep in mind is that the image project into the camera is rotated 180º... everything is upside down and backwards.  So if you see something at the "top" edge of your image, it's actually at the "bottom" edge in the camera.

If the shutter is sticking then the "first curtain" isn't completely getting out of the way... the final shutter blade is just slightly blocking the sensor.  

This is not something you can service yourself... thought you might be able to see it inside your camera if you set a very slow shutter speed (say, 1 second) and look inside the camera as it takes a shot.  You would need to contact Canon service.

Shutters are one part in the camera which is known to wear with age.  The expected life of your shutter is about 100,000 actuations... but many last much much longer than that.  You can check the shutter count using a utility (I use a uitlity made by "Dire Studio" called -- only enough -- "Shutter Count")    Your shutter may simply be approaching the end of it's life.

While Canon can replace a shutter, you may decide that the camera is old enough that you'd rather upgrade.  If you do this, ask Canon service about their Loyalty Program.  They let you trade-in your current camera for a significant discount on a newer model.  "Which" models are available as choices vary... so you have to ask them for details.  But the Loyalty Program is typically the least expensive way to upgrade.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

This is exactly what I was afraid of. Thank you so much! You're reply is very informative and I will be looking into this asap. Thank you so much

@cait_babb wrote:
This is exactly what I was afraid of. Thank you so much! You're reply is very informative and I will be looking into this asap. Thank you so much

The shot that you tried to capture looks like it would be a good candidate for HDR, MAINLY because of the light source facing the camera.  But, I would experiment with the HDR techniques quite a bit before I attempted something for keeps.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you, I'll look into that

@cait_babb wrote:

Hold on, not so fast! Are you talking about the little black line at the top (possible shutter failure) or the general haze, and white line down the middle of th photo (lens flare)?

Announcements